Big tank finally!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellisz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well,

I have had the 75 gal running for over 3 years now. I ran many different frag tanks with this setup but the 75 has always been as big as I could go. I am finishing out my basement so I have been looking for a 125 or 180. LFS near me called today to tell me that their vendor is having a sale on 180's. Well, I could wait no more :)

Current system is:
75 gal
33L frag tank
20 gal refugium in a 75 gal stock tank/sump
Red Sea skimmer/mag 7
GenX55 running the two tanks
2x250 MH w/ 2x54 T5 actinics

Upgrade plan:
180 gal
33L frag tank or maybe a 90 gal(72x24x12)
75 stock tank for sump with same refugium or might go bigger
same lights but I will add another 250 MH
Everything ran on a Sequence Dart
Planning on running 4-5 outlets off the pump into the tank to avoid PH's or more than I already own
Might look at a Octopus NW200 for a skimmer - current one is too small

I will be starting the stand tonight or tomorrow to get the base started. Hopefully pick up the tank next weekend!

Any ideas/thoughts, lets hear them :)

Awesome!! Congrats on the upgrade! AS you know we all can't wait to see pics! You should document every step of the way!!!!

I have always wanted to do that but never had a chance :)

My sump and equipment will be behind the tank in a different room. SO I get to cut some holes in the wall!

I have my QT set up as well so I need to decide on some new fish. I currently have:
5-6" Yellow Tang
3" Royal Gramma
3" Percula clown
2 1.5" YT damsels
2" yellow watchman goby

I have a Flame angel in my frag system to see if he has a taste for corals.

I definitely want another Tang. I like Powder browns or a Naso but not sure yet. Something different would be cool. I also want a wrasse. I had a leopard wrasse on hold at the LFS but it did not make it. They are poor shippers.

I will get some pics as I start getting some stuff.

I have a powder brown and love it. One of the prettiest fish I think. I've had mine for almost a month now and it has taken to the tank nicely. Everyone said that they are ich magnets but I've never had ich in any of my tanks. I love the fish!!!

I to say poweder blue! congrats this sounds Awesome! I would love to have such a big tank! the biggest ( in a store- thats not filled) is a 150 and it was huge (lol) I cant wait to see how this goes!

I to say poweder blue! congrats this sounds Awesome! I would love to have such a big tank! the biggest ( in a store- thats not filled) is a 150 and it was huge (lol) I cant wait to see how this goes!

LOL, I used to think my 75 was huge :) I had figured on a 125 since the LFS wanted $800 for a 180! I went in to the store to look at the 125 and it looked so small.

I love the powder brown for some reason. The powder blue look more fragile.

Thanks all

Wortth noting... My friend has a 180 and laments the type of tank he chose because it has two support bars across the top that cause shadows in the tank... If he had different lighting or a different style tank (apparently not all of them are like that)... Then he wouldn't have this problem..

Just something to be aware of... Good Luck! Sounds fun!

Ziggy953 said:
I have a powder brown and love it. One of the prettiest fish I think. I've had mine for almost a month now and it has taken to the tank nicely. Everyone said that they are ich magnets but I've never had ich in any of my tanks. I love the fish!!!

Hey Ziggy, Did you QT the PBT?

LiveAquaria Has the Powder Blue Tang's on sail again, I'm thinking of getting him...

-TheChad

Congrats on the upgrade! Just think of al that new LR you will have to haul down into the basement.

Worth noting... My friend has a 180 and laments the type of tank he chose because it has two support bars across the top that cause shadows in the tank... If he had different lighting or a different style tank (apparently not all of them are like that)... Then he wouldn't have this problem..

A friend of mine has the exact tank I am getting and I did not see an issue with his. I think I might have to center my 4ft fixture for a temp solution and that could make the braces be an issue. I guess I just need to get my lighting figured out. I had planned on getting a single retro kit but I will need some actinic supplementation or I will have a dark side when the MH goes off. I can build a 2x32 or a 2x96 pretty cheap but I want it simple :)

Congrats on the upgrade! Just think of al that new LR you will have to haul down into the basement.

I actually don't' worry too much about this. I have about 50-75 lbs of LR in my sump right now. It is not pretty but will work. I am going to limit the LR in the display this time. I feel my current tank is just too stuffed. I have seen some tank lately that are more wide open and they look nice. Of course, I have to have something to mount the coral on. We will see what happens.

Way to go Ellisz. That`s a mighty fine aqisition. I remember when I went from my 55 to my 125. It was exciting as is this.

Crazy thing is that the local Aquarium club is having a meeting at my house in 2 weeks. I had hoped to have this done! I doubt that will happen :)

Congrats on the new set up. Regarding LR, I've been noticing tanks where less seems to be more lately too- I like them. Can't wait for pics.

Got the frame base built today and materials to skin the stand and frame/skin the canopy. I'll get some pics tonight. Nothing exciting though

OK, here are a few test pics. My wife wanted to see what the trim was going to look like so she covered up my frame. The canopy frame is laying on top of the stand and I need to add the 12" height pieces to complete the skeleton. We thought we knew what trim we wanted but the stand looks bigger than we planned. The trim looks too small :( Hopefully we can take some of this back. Got to love the DIY work ;)

We hope to stain this but not sure how this will all turn out. My last stand was a bit more simple. Don't laugh ...

I am trying to decide on a skimmer too. With the tank, sump and frag tank, I am looking at 265 gal and I have a deal on a bigger frag tank that would add another 60 gal. Skimmer is this range are pricey and I am cheap :(

Attachments

• stand1_367.jpg
    stand1_367.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 34
  • stand2_160.jpg
    stand2_160.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 31
Looks nice! Are you planning on having it flush with the wall, or will you have some space behind to work?

Back
Top Bottom