Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-19-2005, 02:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via AIM to Munsterkins
Big Tank Upgrade/Transfer

Last wednesday I was thinking about upgrading my 55g to a 75g... But when I went to the LFS I saw a tall 150g and I fell in love.

Long story short, I bought the 150g and stayed up literally the entire weekend setting it up. When I told my cousin (who is moving in with me for a little while) about it he suggested that he transfer his 75g into my 150g along with my 55g. So we did.

We combined all of our live rock, substrate, and most of our tank water (150 gallons takes a while to fill up)

It is coming along nicely right now and the water looks crystal clear....

Both of our tanks were running for about a year prior to the merger.

Basically I'm wondering if any has ever made such an impulsive buy to this scale and what your success was? What problems might I have?

Pics coming soon

• 150 gallon Glass 48LX24WX30H
• 55 Gallon Sump
• 2x 48" Coralife Aqualight (520W Total)
• 3 Powerheads
• Over 130 lbs Live Rock
• Silica Sand/Crushed Coral as substrate

Fish: • Humu Picasso Triggerfish • Ocellaris Clownfish • Flame Hawkfish • Dragon Goby • Blue & Yellowtail Damsel • Blue Tang • Convict Tang • Yellow Tang

Creepies: • Many Blue / Red Hermits and Snails
Munsterkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 09:15 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
If you are using all established substrate and LR it will certainly help. You may notice a bit of a mini-cycle due to the disruption in the biological filtration. Just be ready to do a water change if needed to keep levels safe for your fish.

Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:26 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
dang thats a BIG transfer. I would like to take my fish and put them in my 60 but sadly im broke...again.....
I'm tired of getting pointless messages. If your going to start a conversation or ask me something, keep up with it.
flamingonhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:40 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Yeah, how is the ammonia and nitrate doing? Wanna keep an eye on the potential for a mini-cycle as Lando suggested.

Also, I'd guess that since you're fish only, new more expensive lighting won't be an issue for the upgrade, huh?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 05:35 PM   #5
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
The bigger the better. Good move
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

tan, tank upgrade, transfer, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com