Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Biggest Fish For A 55g

I have a 55 gallon with a pair of Ocellaris clowns and a school of chromis (3) and a couple of coral frags. I would like a tank with different kind of fish sizes. I was wondering, what would be the most biggest fish you could place in a 55g?

Old 07-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Skype™ to KSum89
The biggest fish (that could live in a 55 gallon) i think would be the Marine betta at about 7-9".. Not sure about its max size

I have a 55 too, thinking about ordering one.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Depends on the 55 but I assume you have a 4 foot long one. Safest bet would be a fox face LO or one spot as they are tough. A tomini, bristletooth or kole tang could also handle it but they are much more sensitive so keeping the water pristine is a must. You must also provide the fish with nice open swimming lanes from end to end as they are all active swimmers. Some people may get bent out of shape by me having given that advice to which I say- a four foot tank is a four foot tank, as long as its set up to keep the fish happy and the water is kept clean. All the fish I recommended are good in a 75g which is the same length and height as a 55g it's just deeper which is where the care of placing rocks to provide winning lanes comes into play.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

An engineer goby is a long fish, I also think you could put a snowflake eel also but Personally I would want to rehome a full grown one.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah there are fish that I would like to add but they prefer 70gallons. Always wondered if it would be okay in a 55gal since they're both 4' long.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpuffer
Depends on the 55 but I assume you have a 4 foot long one. Safest bet would be a fox face LO or one spot as they are tough. A tomini, bristletooth or kole tang could also handle it but they are much more sensitive so keeping the water pristine is a must. You must also provide the fish with nice open swimming lanes from end to end as they are all active swimmers. Some people may get bent out of shape by me having given that advice to which I say- a four foot tank is a four foot tank, as long as its set up to keep the fish happy and the water is kept clean. All the fish I recommended are good in a 75g which is the same length and height as a 55g it's just deeper which is where the care of placing rocks to provide winning lanes comes into play.
I totally agree with you. 4' is 4' it's just the width and stuff that are different. Yeah I'm planning on only placing the rocks in the middle of the tank so that there is plenty of swimming space for the fishes.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Snowflake morays are an option but they might snack on your clowns.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #8
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpuffer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake337 View Post
I totally agree with you. 4' is 4' it's just the width and stuff that are different. Yeah I'm planning on only placing the rocks in the middle of the tank so that there is plenty of swimming space for the fishes.
No tang belongs in a 55G IMO.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Quote:
Originally Posted by HN1

No tang belongs in a 55G IMO.
Would you say the same about a 75g?
Old 07-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #10
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes. I'd do a kole, maybe tomini in a 90 though. They need to be able to do laps. Not just back and forth. JMO.

Tags
55 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com