Biggest Fish For A 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jake337

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 55 gallon with a pair of Ocellaris clowns and a school of chromis (3) and a couple of coral frags. I would like a tank with different kind of fish sizes. I was wondering, what would be the most biggest fish you could place in a 55g?

The biggest fish (that could live in a 55 gallon) i think would be the Marine betta at about 7-9".. Not sure about its max size

I have a 55 too, thinking about ordering one.

Depends on the 55 but I assume you have a 4 foot long one. Safest bet would be a fox face LO or one spot as they are tough. A tomini, bristletooth or kole tang could also handle it but they are much more sensitive so keeping the water pristine is a must. You must also provide the fish with nice open swimming lanes from end to end as they are all active swimmers. Some people may get bent out of shape by me having given that advice to which I say- a four foot tank is a four foot tank, as long as its set up to keep the fish happy and the water is kept clean. All the fish I recommended are good in a 75g which is the same length and height as a 55g it's just deeper which is where the care of placing rocks to provide winning lanes comes into play.

An engineer goby is a long fish, I also think you could put a snowflake eel also but Personally I would want to rehome a full grown one.

Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah there are fish that I would like to add but they prefer 70gallons. Always wondered if it would be okay in a 55gal since they're both 4' long.

kdpuffer said:
Depends on the 55 but I assume you have a 4 foot long one. Safest bet would be a fox face LO or one spot as they are tough. A tomini, bristletooth or kole tang could also handle it but they are much more sensitive so keeping the water pristine is a must. You must also provide the fish with nice open swimming lanes from end to end as they are all active swimmers. Some people may get bent out of shape by me having given that advice to which I say- a four foot tank is a four foot tank, as long as its set up to keep the fish happy and the water is kept clean. All the fish I recommended are good in a 75g which is the same length and height as a 55g it's just deeper which is where the care of placing rocks to provide winning lanes comes into play.

I totally agree with you. 4' is 4' it's just the width and stuff that are different. Yeah I'm planning on only placing the rocks in the middle of the tank so that there is plenty of swimming space for the fishes.

I totally agree with you. 4' is 4' it's just the width and stuff that are different. Yeah I'm planning on only placing the rocks in the middle of the tank so that there is plenty of swimming space for the fishes.

No tang belongs in a 55G IMO.

Yes. I'd do a kole, maybe tomini in a 90 though. They need to be able to do laps. Not just back and forth. JMO.

HN1 said:
Yes. I'd do a kole, maybe tomini in a 90 though. They need to be able to do laps. Not just back and forth. JMO.

That's where the proper aquascape comes into play, I think it's a little broad to just say no though I understand your concern. I personally have my 55 setup so there is room to swim around everything which would be acceptable in my opinion. A 90 isn't really any different than a 75 other than being taller so being able to swim laps is no different. I personally love tangs but don't want one in my 55 as they are more sensitive but my fox face is awesome, water parameters are perfect and scape is set up to allow swimming and he is happy.

kdpuffer said:
That's where the proper aquascape comes into play, I think it's a little broad to just say no though I understand your concern. I personally have my 55 setup so there is room to swim around everything which would be acceptable in my opinion. A 90 isn't really any different than a 75 other than being taller so being able to swim laps is no different. I personally love tangs but don't want one in my 55 as they are more sensitive but my fox face is awesome, water parameters are perfect and scape is set up to allow swimming and he is happy.

Does your Foxface harass any other tank mates? What do you feed it?

HN1 said:

+1 I agree

90g is the smallest i would advise any tang. Its not a matter of just swimming room either. Respect the fish and its requirements and you will avoid problems.

I don't doubt that it can be done, but I can't recommend it at the same time. Fish do naturally swim in the vertical as well as lateral and it just seems too small for max size. Yes, a juvie tang can be happy and healthy in a 55 or 75. For awhile. Should fish that size be confined to such a small area (regardless of water quality)? IMO, no. Opinions and experiences vary though.

Personally i would not keep a tang long term in anything shorter than 6 foot. Note how usually you hear this to be minimum 6 foot 125g min. Those numbers are not made up and there is a very good reason they are minimum recommendations.

Does this mean a tang can not be put in a small tank? Not necessarily depending on species and livestock, swimming room etc, however i would never advise it and i would expect problems. Stress is the number one fish killer. Being in a tank is stress factor number one, remember tangs are not bred in a tank, your tangs come from the ocean. These are big fish, used to a big tank we call the ocean, and they are extremely active swimmers.

Is all a stress game. If you can control that then you could probably put a tang in a glass of water.

Well I think we have covered the tang subject lol. I do respect your opinions so don't think otherwise. My fox face is awesome, he is very peaceful and doesn't bother anyone at all. They are grazers like tangs so they eat algae, I leave him nori to snack on aswell as feeding NLS pellets and spirulina brine shrimp. He eats anything but some good veggies are a must.

Kd's tank is far from overstocked, jake if you get a foxface i would suggest you understock your tank as well and have an open rock scape like kd!

In terms of a 55, when it comes to fish kept in it I wouldn't go any larger than a coral beauty and stick straight to nano fish. I look at mine all the time and my coral beauty is overwhelming in terms of size of the tank. With him in there and the other tankmates of 1 bw clown, 1 indigo dottyback, and 1 lawnmower blenny...the tank literally looks full. Nano fish all the way for a 55 imo.

Back
Top Bottom