Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-19-2013, 12:50 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Bill's 75 gallon upgrade

Hi all. Well the bug has bitten. A year ago I started my very first salt water tank. It is a 36 gallon BF. I was given a few weeks ago a 75 gallon tank and now I want to go bigger. I have a few questions that maybe some can help answer.

I was have on hand a 20 gallon tank that I was thinking of making a refug for the 75 gallon. I will have 3 compartments, 1 is where water enters, 2nd compartment will be where a skimmer and heater will go and the 3rd compartment will be for the return. So my question on this part is in the 1st compartment do I put both LR and sand or just LR.

Question number 2 is if I run a skimmer, do I need to run any other filtration like a canister of HOB? I presently have a canister filter in the 36 gallon tank

In my 36 gallon tank, right now I have 40 lbs of live rock. I plan on putting 70 lbs of rock in the new 75 gallon tank but my question is when is the best time to add the rock I already have in the 36 gallon tank without messing up the present running tank. Eventually everything I have in the small tank will be moved to the new bigger tank.

At the present I have in the 36 gallon tank 1 clown, 1 PJ cardinal, 1 Bengi cardinal and 2 chromis. Can I add another clown and a couple more Pj's and a couple more Bengi's. I wouldn't add them all at once but just wonder if after a year can more of the same species be added.

I would like to have a few more fish in the big tank and wonder what would be a good high light fish to make the tank really come to life. I want a peace full tank. My wife wants to see color so suggestions would be welcome.

I have a torch coral, a mushroom, and a Kenya tree. Down the road I would like to add more. I have all the lighting for now but will upgrade to bigger lighting down the road. I have gone slow over this past year and will do so again and thus is why I am asking these questions. Your imput would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:59 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by bald57 View Post
Hi all. Well the bug has bitten. A year ago I started my very first salt water tank. It is a 36 gallon BF. I was given a few weeks ago a 75 gallon tank and now I want to go bigger. I have a few questions that maybe some can help answer. I was have on hand a 20 gallon tank that I was thinking of making a refug for the 75 gallon. I will have 3 compartments, 1 is where water enters, 2nd compartment will be where a skimmer and heater will go and the 3rd compartment will be for the return. So my question on this part is in the 1st compartment do I put both LR and sand or just LR. Question number 2 is if I run a skimmer, do I need to run any other filtration like a canister of HOB? I presently have a canister filter in the 36 gallon tank In my 36 gallon tank, right now I have 40 lbs of live rock. I plan on putting 70 lbs of rock in the new 75 gallon tank but my question is when is the best time to add the rock I already have in the 36 gallon tank without messing up the present running tank. Eventually everything I have in the small tank will be moved to the new bigger tank. At the present I have in the 36 gallon tank 1 clown, 1 PJ cardinal, 1 Bengi cardinal and 2 chromis. Can I add another clown and a couple more Pj's and a couple more Bengi's. I wouldn't add them all at once but just wonder if after a year can more of the same species be added. I would like to have a few more fish in the big tank and wonder what would be a good high light fish to make the tank really come to life. I want a peace full tank. My wife wants to see color so suggestions would be welcome. I have a torch coral, a mushroom, and a Kenya tree. Down the road I would like to add more. I have all the lighting for now but will upgrade to bigger lighting down the road. I have gone slow over this past year and will do so again and thus is why I am asking these questions. Your imput would be appreciated. Thanks.
That's a lot to cover.

I would use just live rock rubble. Might add chaeto and a small light.

Protein skimmer, live rock and regular water exchanges should be all the filtration needed. Might use a canister filter for running products like carbon or Purigen.

I would start cycling the new live rock in the 75 setup and wait for the die off and cycle to level out, then I would move everything including the rock from the old tank. Let that stabilize a few weeks and slowly add more livestock. You shouldn't see a big cycle when moving the existing stuff.

Chromis tend to fight to the last man, you can add a dozen and the number slowly dwindles. Cardinals school pretty well. The clown is trickier. I haven't had good experiences adding the odd clown. I get them in pairs. Maybe adding several would work . I am sure others will chime in.

Maybe you should add some LPS like frogspawn or hammer corals?

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, gallon, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com