bio balls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

produceb

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 58 gallon with a 20 gallon fuge. I have my bio ball box in the fuge. I was debating doing away with the bio balls. I have a skimmer and a UV sterlizer. This would free up more room in my fuge. I think this is a good idea, just wanted some other opinions. Thank you

I`m getting ready to get rid of mine in my refuge and add LR rubble in there instead. The bio balls are nitrate makers and it would be better to replace with LR rubble. I know many on this site have done so with good results.

I was going to do away with the whole box that they are in and maybe just add some live rock to the fuge. Or should I put the rubble in the box?

I dont think it matters as long as bioballs are gone and LR is in. You might have more surface area with the rubble.

I hear that Bio balls are Nitrate generators all the time and to be honest I get a little confused.

Surley to creat the nitrate they have to feed on Nitrite?? Am I missing something here? I have a weir filled with bio balls and use that as a wet/dry trickle tower. I also have a Nitrate reactor (not running at the moment) for when the nitrates start to build up.

Could someone explain in plain english why these balls generate the Nitrate so well and a pile of rubble will not.

Cheers

Bioballs provide surface area where nitrifying bacteria can colonize in a rich, oxygenated environment. Nitrification is mainly a bacterial process where Ammonia is converted to Nitrite and Nitrite to Nitrate; however, nitrates will continue to build and recycle without some type of intervention whether it be absorbed, removed via water changes, cleaning of media, macro-algae use, etc. Porous live rock allows for more surface area for bacteria colonization and consumes nitrates as they appear. Basically, it is natural biological filtration.

Found some info for ya: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/august2003/chem.htm

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-06/dw/index.php

In this article you`ll read under denitrification that this type of bacteria(anerobic) that helps to get rid of nitrates is found in pourous LR and sandbeds. The other bacterias that break down ammonia and nitrites are different and will break it down to nitrates Which is also on LR and sand but also wet dry`s and Bio wheels. Read the whole article but to answer your question read under denitrification.

Do you have any LR in the tank? if so how much. This is the big factor on weather or not you can toss the BB.
Even LR rubble will trap waste in a sump. I only have a few pieces in my one sump and all kinds of crap collects under it. I like to run my reef sump clean with no LR rubble.

Cheers for the links guys. I can always count on this forum for some quality docs!

I have about 70kg of LR in my tank and still adding as I go. There is some small frags or LR in my sump but nothing significant.

If I toss the bio balls, wouldnt my weir become way too noisy?

If you toss the bioballs, I would not toss all the bioballs out in a single batch, but rather in small batches over the course of a couple weeks. You can use a filter sock (wash often) to prefilter the water before entering the weir to keep particulates at a lower concentration and noise reduction will depend on how your wetdry is configured. Any model number or pics of the wetdry?

Its just a plain old in tank glass overflow filled with bioballs with a trickle plate on top. 2 holes in the bottom. 1 to drain to the sump the other for the return pipe to come up through (which makes filter socks etc really awkward)

Ahhhh ok. If the glass overflow containing the bioballs is a corner overflow then you can probably just oust them altogether considering there shouldn't be much there to begin with? The filter sock would actually go on your exit line off the overflow (in-sump), just as long as you take care of it :)

Back
Top Bottom