Bio balls....are they bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have read several post where people replaced their bio balls with live rock rubble do to high nitrate levels. Is this something I should be concerned about? The filter and tank are new so there are not any issues (yet) but I trying to plan ahead. Plus will that little bit of rubble do me any good since I already have 750 lbs of live rock and a sand bed?

As I understand it, you don't really need bioballs after your tank has become established. Would using LR rubble instead of bio balls be better in an established tank? I'd love to hear what people think.

Bioballs have a reputation for producing high NO3. However, people have been using them for years with very little problems. They do require maintainance, but if you have enough biological filtration in the form of LR you should not notice an increase in NO3. With that being said, LR rubble is a superior biofiltration media. Use it if you can.

I use bioballs... my nitrate has never gone about 20ppm.

*shrug*

With 750lbs of liverock you should be pretty pristine, tho it is suitable for your humongous tank. ;)

My tank has been set up for about 15 years (50 gal w/aprox 70lbs lr) and I've had bio-balls in it from day 1. Never had a problem. Bottom line is proper maintenance and water changes with r/o water and nitrates shouldn't be an issue.

cccapt:
I started typing this question but erased it but I can not think of a better way to ask it so here you go....Do you wash your balls? If so with what and how often.
There I said it.

LOL! I didn't see that one coming! 8O

I use reef rubble as well rather than bio balls. My system has been established for well over a year, and my nitrates are 0. I have read that the bio balls have to be cleaned, or they will accumulate detrius creating problems with nitrate stability. However, if cleaning the bio balls is necessary, doesn't that disturb the baterial colonies that are currenty there?
I actually got the idea of using reef rubble from Lando. It seems to be the best natural alternative I have tried thus far, and I wouldn't change it.
Brenden - you can just take some of your lr and break it up into little pieces and put it in your sump. I have about 30lbs in mine right now. reef rubble is the same thing, just the leftover broken pieces from the lr.

Mike

ive heard you put them in a bucket of tankwater and swish them around. and thats it

What exactly are bioballs? Are they the same as the ceramic rings which come with the fluval filter? Those ceramic rings are supposed to build up the beneficial bacteria.

dianeww said:
What exactly are bioballs? Are they the same as the ceramic rings which come with the fluval filter? Those ceramic rings are supposed to build up the beneficial bacteria.

Same theory/idea behind it. So I guess the answer to your question is a shady "yes". They serve the same purpose but do share differences with one another.

Joe

My balls are placed in a plastic box that hangs on the back of my tank. There's a rectangular collection cup with spill-over, being "sucked" in by a 1.5" tube, water first goes through debri filter, then over through a microfilter, oxygenator/skimmer device (basically a highpowered air pump that pushes sludge into a collection cup), then the water pours over this plastic piece that drips all over the balls. If it isn't adjusted right, the return feed can dry up killing my pump... or if I'm adding water, it can flood the bioball bin... which I guess basically just flushes everything.

I guess that's where I get my .20ppm nitrate bumps ;)

By the way.. 6 months and no water changes. I only add about 5-10ga every 2-3 weeks due to evaporation (and random leaks *cough*).

So basically, if you dont have enough filtration before your balls, you might have to clean them.

I, personally, have never cleaned my balls. 8O

Back
Top Bottom