Bio balls or rocks for cannister filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kelly0707

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am running a flu cal cannister filter with chemo pure elite on the top chamber filter floss in the second and the bottom bio balls.

I have had the tank up for about a year it is 55 gallons with about 65 pounds of live rock in it.

I have some hair algae that has started to grow I use pre mixed salt from the lfs and top with Rodi water.

Lfs said to try taking bio balls out and replace with rock? What do you guys think?

My nitrates, nitrites and ammonia are all 0.

My mushrooms used to be huge but they are really small now.

The algae in the tank will give you false readings... As for the canister filter they are nitrate factorys if they are not cleaned frequently, yes ditch the bioballs for live rock rubble you will have some improved results.....

I am setting up a 54g corner unit. I am putting lr in my sump and getting rid of bio balls. are you overfeeding? have you added any new rock/sand etc? what are the rest of your parameters?
I was just reading an article about various algae types and how to control/remove each from someone else's post

The algae in the tank will give you false readings... As for the canister filter they are nitrate factorys if they are not cleaned frequently, yes ditch the bioballs for live rock rubble you will have some improved results.....

Will I have an ammonia spike if I get rid of all the bio balls?

I would take out a little bit a time and replace it with rubble gradually weeding out the bioballs over a period of time with 65 live rock you more than likely won't have a ammonia spike but I would not chance it slower is better in this hobby

I am setting up a 54g corner unit. I am putting lr in my sump and getting rid of bio balls. are you overfeeding? have you added any new rock/sand etc? what are the rest of your parameters?
I was just reading an article about various algae types and how to control/remove each from someone else's post

I feed 2 to 3 times a week no new rock or sand. Just new coral and an anemone. I t
Had everything tested at the lfs and they said everything was fine I will be testing myself today also.

I use api phosphate remover its good for tanks up to 55 g ,its cheap and works realy well...

I have a tempered glass tank I can't drill. My tank has only been up 5 days. I am still cycling it. No sump, because I have been told not to run overflow boxes because they can overflow unto your floor in the right scenario. Read Saltwalter for dummies 2007 edition. More than one way to set up a tank. There are YouTube videos of canister only reef tanks growing soft corals. That is my plan. I have the link in my Patience is a virtue thread in getting started.

I will be adding a protein skimmer and uv sterilizer.

Back
Top Bottom