bio balls, yes or no?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quarryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 6 month old 210 gallon fish and invert only tanks. We have a 40 gallon wet dry with bioballs, 160lbs of live rock and a 1 1/2-2" live sand bed (inthe tank).
Ammonia and nitites are 0 and my nitrates run 10-20ppm.
The fish have been out for 7 weeks for treatment due to a velvet outbreak. Everone has been clean for 3 weeks and are due to go back in the pool next week.
If everthing goes well, I plan to start introducing some corrals this summer.
I have started to remove the bio ball (25% so far) and am planning to turn the wet dry into a refugium with some more rock, live sand and am planing on culturing some algae.
I stold my lfs about my plans and was told not
to remove the bio balls.
Any thoughts on this?
Thanks
Any thoughts on this?

I have started to remove the bio ball (25% so far) and am planning to turn the wet dry into a refugium with some more rock, live sand and am planing on culturing some algae.
I stold my lfs about my plans and was told not
to remove the bio balls.
Any thoughts on this?
Thanks

You are on the right course. Don't listen to the LFS. Bio balls and wet/dry's are fading fast. And when they are being used, it mostly for FO tanks and not for tanks that house inverts because of their nitrate producing abilities.

So long as you remove the balls slowly, like I see you are doing, your LR and LS will take over as primary filtration. Then once you add in the fuge, you will see your nitrates really begin to fall.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Back
Top Bottom