Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-22-2004, 11:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

bio load?

question about one's vio load. i understand it butmy question is how could i make my bio load bigger. and what do you think the bio load on a 55 gallon tank is?
thanks michael

Old 01-22-2004, 11:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Why do you want to make you bio-load bigger?

Old 01-23-2004, 09:46 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
You want to increase your bioload? Add more fish or feed more often. Just about anything to dirty up the water.

Now I think what you ment to ask was this. How do I increase my bioload capacity. Allowing your system to support more fish, etc. Well the best way is to get a larger tank. Another way is to use a large sump to increase your total water capacity of the system. For example if you have a 55 and you get a 30 gal sump your total effective water capacity will go up to approx 75 gal or so. Now doing this does not enhance the filtration capacity so to do that you would need more live rock in the sump for additional bio filtration. A larger, oversized, skimmer will also improve water qulity to allow for more of a bio load.

Its important to note that having even a huge water capacity does not make up for having a small display tank. For example if you put another 55 gal tank in as a sump your effective water capacity would be around 100 gal but your display tank would still only be the size of a 55 gal tank and overcrowding of fish can be just as detrmental as having to much of a bioload on the system.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 11:11 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

i see thanks. i just got my 55 back up and running after 1 year of being down. i just got done last night and i just order 36lbs of LR last night too so it should be here tuesday. i know 36lbs is not much but i will add over time. i am looking to get my tank as nice as your there fishfreak. but i have a lot of ground to make up. i just looked at your tank on the pics man what a tank. great job! question about water circulation. i have a 55 gallon and only 1 maxi jet 900 power head what your you suggest for water movment? should i go buy another one or 2?
thanksi going to tank a pic of my tank now and post it later!
thanks michael
Old 01-24-2004, 11:48 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have a 40 g with a 30 g sump/fuge- I have 1 200gpm and 1 400gpm PH + the return line from my sump pump about 600 gpm. Don't forget the overflow, that in effect creates a current and moves 600 gpm as well. Can't have too much water movement. My tank and fuge are crystal clear and the critter doing quite well
50lbs LR
2" cc on 3/4 plenum
3" sugar aragonite in fuge with hair algae
20w white NO in fuge
65w pc 50/50 (2 bulbs)
20w actinit 2 damsels
1 TR clown
shrooms and zoos
h2o quality is solid 0's. 80 d.
sacramentofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 11:49 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have a 40 g with a 30 g sump/fuge- I have 1 200gpm and 1 400gpm PH + the return line from my sump pump about 600 gpm. Don't forget the overflow, that in effect creates a current and moves 600 gpm as well. Can't have too much water movement. My tank and fuge are crystal clear and the critter doing quite well

50lbs LR
2" cc on 3/4 plenum
3" sugar aragonite in fuge with hair algae
20w white NO in fuge
65w pc 50/50 (2 bulbs)
20w actinit 2 damsels
1 TR clown
shrooms and zoos
h2o quality is solid 0's. 80 d.
sacramentofish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bio

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com