bio load for corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

produceb

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 58 gallon oceanic with a 20 gallon fuge. I only have 3 small fish, a pair of coral banded shrimp, hermits and snails galor( the ones I bought and tons of tiny babies, red footed conch, purple lobster. Is there a limit to the amount of coral I can add? I have a pulsing zenia, tree zenia, a bunch of mushrooms, some zoos and a toadstool. I am thinking of adding a few more zoos and a sun coral since i have a perfect overhang for it. I just want to make sure I dont over do it. All my corals are small except I do have a large bunch of hairy mushrooms. 340 watts of vho. Water parameters fine so far, I do weekly water changes with ocean water. I know a little riskier but it has worked for my dad for 20 years and seems to work great for me, and since I live on the water much easier and cheapier.

You are limited by overgrowth of competing corals and allelopathy. How stocked your tank is, is up to you. As long as you are sticking to a specific genre you should be fine i.e. soft, lps, sps. Make sure you place the sun coral where you can easily feed each polyp. They have no problems being under direct lighting since they receive no benefits from photosynthesis.

Just to echo what Innovator said, there really isn't an issue with bioload and corals, just space and allelopathy like he said. You don't want to crowd things too much. Xenia in itself can take over a tank.

The suncoral, definitley make sure it's out in the open and not pushed back under the overhang. Eventhough they grow in shade in the ocean usually, they can tolerate full light.

Happy stocking :)

I agree that you have to worry about overgrowth. Mine have grown more then 4 or 5 times the original size and then you have to worry about them encroaching on other corals.

Thanks for the help, just wanted to make sure. Anyone have any experience with marine flora. They seem to have some awesome looking zoo's i was going to get.

Back
Top Bottom