Bio-media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karlseith

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently use SeaChem's Matrix for my biological filtration. The tank is 30g with 2 submersible powerhead filters. Im the kinda guy who strongly believes "if it aint broke don't fix it" but a good friend has been pushing me to switch to Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Bio-Chem Stars, insisting that I could nearly double my tanks bioload. I was wondering if anyone could offer insight on the Bio-Chem Stars.

Thanks,
Karl

I would really doubt that you could double your tanks bio load, but I'll let the experts answer this one.

I agree with Jamal. Although you are increasing the total surface area for aerobic bacteria, you are not augmenting the anaerobic bacteria. You need to create a balance whereby there is both nitrification (aerobic) and denitrification (anaerobic/anoxic). The denitrification is moreso the key.

Being able to quickly convert the NH3 and NO2 is good but unless the NO3 is dealt with, you will not be able to do what is being suggested. Even if this where an FO tank, NO3 will become dangerous at a certain point as well as the dangerous levels of nutrient that will cause health problems in the fish, primarily bacterial.

Aside from water quality, you must also be concerned about "quality of life" for the fish so to speak. The tank will reach a certain point where the amount of fish will lead to heavy aggression and fighting for territory/food.

How big is the tank and what fish do you have now?

Cheers
Steve

I was doing a search on the bio-stars and found this thread. My question concerning bio-stars was would they, act as lr does, and have a dense enough pore structure to allow anaerobic bactieria for nitrate reduction. Clearly you think the answer to this questino is no; which leads me to anouther question. Is there any other media which could replace bio-balls in a wet/dry that would have a similar biolgical effect as lr?

The thing with lr acting as a bio filter is that the life in the rock is key. The critters and worms,etc is what makes the water flow into various pores for denitrification. If there is no life then the water will not just automatically flow into the pores. The surface tension of the water won't allow it. Nothing will substitute good liverock. An excellent filtration to replace the bio balls is liverock rubble.

That sounds iffy. I won't begin to debate the value of lr, but I don't think it's because of the critters that it is so effective. The bacteria deep within the rock are anaerobic and will not be present in significant numbers in bio-balls or the outer portions of lr. I doubt the lack of worms would prevent water and bacteria from eventually reaching the inner, denser pores of the rock.

I may go with lr rubble, but I am just curious if any ingenious manufacturer has tried to make a synthetic media cabable of supporting anaerobic bateria - there would certainly be a market for that type of media.

Interesting. Thanks for the link. Still, the bacteria are going to colonize any surface available. The denitrifying bacteria are going to be present in the greatest number where ever there is low O2 and low water flow. Going with the critter theory, that may mean that occurs deeper within the rock, but it is going to occur either way.

Basically though osmosis won't occur within the rock. It needs something to cause that water flow. Yes I think it would happen slightly with just the bacteria involved but larger organisms mean more water movement. I know that you want low water movement but at that level the bacteria is just too small to achieve sufficient water flow themselves.

In answer to my original question, I did a little more research and found a couple of viable bio-mediums. The most interesting is Siporax or Eheim Substrat (sintered glass product) and also Kent Nitrate Sponge (granular zeolitic medium ). Both are supposed to support both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria.

I may place a mixed layer at the bottom of my wet/dry where they will stay submerged.

Back
Top Bottom