Bioballs in sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

misterT

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there everyone. I have successfully built my own sump. It contains a skmmer section, refugium and a return section. I have some bioballs laying around so I was wondering if i should put them in the sump? Are they a good addition to my sump or are they useless?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What should I add in there place?

I have cheato in my fuge. Should i add a reactor?

Adding excess live rock in the sump isn't always a good idea unless they're in an area of really high flow. If they're not then they trap detritus and make the sump harder to clean and produce excess nitrates. Same with the bio balls. You could make algae scrubber. Pretty basic to build and they work wonders for nitrate/phosphate reduction.

What exactly is a algae scubber?

Definitely have a filter sock at the end of the drain in the intake section. It makes a sump virtually free of maintenance.
I prefer a 7" sock if you can fit it. This makes it easy to turn inside out or put your hand in it to catch a runaway fish or snail.

I have read that filter socks are only good if they are regularly changed.

Well, if they are all clogged up and overflowing, they are certainly no good, but which would you rather do- change out a filter sock every few days/week or vacuum out a pile of detritus in the bottom of your sump, which in most cases is in the bottom of your stand, very close to the floor? I'm sure you are aware that you either have to use a self priming pump or a gravity siphon, which you cannot make due to the location of the sump.
Also bear in mind that when you vacuum out your sump you vacuum out thousands of pods and beneficial creatures which you want to make it back to the display.
Also, if a fish takes a dive downward, it's an easy catch in the sock- trying to net a fish in the skimmer or refugium compartment is not easy, or maybe it will get sucked into the skimmer pump before you find it.
I dunno. I think filter sock sounds easier.

I change mine weekly. I first cleaned them by turning it inside out then spray it with a high pressure nozzle on the hose. Now that I have enough I toss them in the washer. with little bleach no soap and a extra rinse cycle.

I did some research on an algae scrubber. I like the idea an i think it can work in my sump.

They're great for nitrate and phosphate removal. Basically unrivaled filtration.

Back
Top Bottom