Biocube 29 gallon Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kennedycurse

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I just acquired a Oceanic Biocube 29 gallon tank. I am looking to set it up with corals. I want to get new lighting for it. What type of lighting should I use and where can I get it for a good price? Any thoughts or links would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi, I just acquired a Oceanic Biocube 29 gallon tank. I am looking to set it up with corals. I want to get new lighting for it. What type of lighting should I use and where can I get it for a good price? Any thoughts or links would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

What's your budget? There's DIY LED's, there's the option of taking the hood off and buying a fixture, or modding out your existing hood with a AI nano LED fixture.

I wanted to take the hood off and get a fixture. Budget 100-200 bucks

Just read the description again. That is some light. I'm gonna get in touch with a light guru from here and get back to you.

What corals do you wanna keep? In thinking that light is plenty I think. You might have some heat issues in a small tank with all that light. I got in contact with the saltwater guru, I'm sure he'll be by to offer up his opinion and advice.

I purchased one of those 250 watt halide fixtures for a 30cube a few years ago. It should have been plenty of light to grow anything, but apparently the ballast was sub-standard. It did not push the lamp enough to warrant buying it. Soft corals like zoas stretched out and up for light and remained brown, no matter what lamp I tried.
If you purchase that halide fixture, be prepared that you might have to purchase a better ballast.

What corals do you wanna keep? In thinking that light is plenty I think. You might have some heat issues in a small tank with all that light. I got in contact with the saltwater guru, I'm sure he'll be by to offer up his opinion and advice.

I'm not totally sure yet but I want to get a light that can house anything. Thank you for contacting the light guru :D You are awesome. This site rocks, always people willing to help! Thank you again!

I purchased one of those 250 watt halide fixtures for a 30cube a few years ago. It should have been plenty of light to grow anything, but apparently the ballast was sub-standard. It did not push the lamp enough to warrant buying it. Soft corals like zoas stretched out and up for light and remained brown, no matter what lamp I tried.
If you purchase that halide fixture, be prepared that you might have to purchase a better ballast.

Okay sounds good thank you! Would you recommend something else or should I get this and just see how it goes and upgrade ballast if necessary?

Okay sounds good thank you! Would you recommend something else or should I get this and just see how it goes and upgrade ballast if necessary?

I would listen to him, he is extremely knowledgable. If it were me I wouldn't do it. Sounds like he was unhappy with the light all together and IMO why buy a light that is known to have issues and then have to fix it down the road. What about a 4 bulb T5 HO fixture or these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0WP08P5860

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0058RXPOS

These are very popular around here and other sites. People really seem to like them. Ask Mr. X about them if you want. He will give you the low down on them.

I would listen to him, he is extremely knowledgable. If it were me I wouldn't do it. Sounds like he was unhappy with the light all together and IMO why buy a light that is known to have issues and then have to fix it down the road. What about a 4 bulb T5 HO fixture or these

TaoTronics TT-AL01 White Aquarium Coral Reef Tank LED Grow Light (120W Output, Blue/White Ratio- 25:30; Two-Year Warranty) - Newegg.com

TaoTronics TT-AL01 White Aquarium Coral Reef Tank LED Grow Light (120W Output, Blue/White Ratio- 25:30; Two-Year Warranty):Amazon:patio, Lawn & Garden

These are very popular around here and other sites. People really seem to like them. Ask Mr. X about them if you want. He will give you the low down on them.

Ya I definitely will listen to him. I have seen these but I would like to have something that I do not have to mount. (I have high ceilings) Something that I can attach to the tank. Thanks!

When I purchased my biocube 29 I got the HQI with the 150w MH. it was approx $100-150 more than the normal biocube. I have everything in my tank ranging from sps lps softies and even a nps Sun coral.

Oh ya I will definitely listen to him. I like those lights but I don't want to hang something. I know these are amazing lights from what I have read. Hmm now I'm confused on what to get lol

It's up to you. The halide may very well do the job. If everything goes well, you'll have to replace the bulbs every 8-12 months, and the electric usage will be more than the LED fixture. You can always construct something to hold whatever fixture you end up with.

Here was a corner tank I set up for a guy. He ended up with a halide pendant and needed it to be mounted to something, so I went to home depot and bought a length of galvanized conduit, bent and painted it, and screwed it to the back of the stand. Just an idea....
img_2355166_0_cda291f1b0fb261e0c5bd3b8e96372ec.jpg

It's up to you. The halide may very well do the job. If everything goes well, you'll have to replace the bulbs every 8-12 months, and the electric usage will be more than the LED fixture. You can always construct something to hold whatever fixture you end up with.

Here was a corner tank I set up for a guy. He ended up with a halide pendant and needed it to be mounted to something, so I went to home depot and bought a length of galvanized conduit, bent and painted it, and screwed it to the back of the stand. Just an idea....

Okay thank you. Looks like LED is the way to go from what your saying. What do you think about this http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=261174847414&index=1&nav=SEARCH&nid=19166035771

Back
Top Bottom