Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-17-2016, 06:10 PM   #21
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Water changes are going to be your main source of nitrate export. There are other ways of assisting this, like refugiums, algae turf scrubbers, so on.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:04 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefbill View Post
They make nitrate reducing filter pads as well as liquid nitrate remover

Alright. As for my original question, I watched a video by Marine Depot on modifications made to the biocube, and one of the mods involved was turning the first chamber into a refugium.

Regardless of any previous discussion of the concept of removing bio balls, how would this be done?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 04-17-2016, 10:06 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by katys410 View Post
Alright. As for my original question, I watched a video by Marine Depot on modifications made to the biocube, and one of the mods involved was turning the first chamber into a refugium.

Regardless of any previous discussion of the concept of removing bio balls, how would this be done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Water changes are going to be your main source of nitrate export. There are other ways of assisting this, like refugiums, algae turf scrubbers, so on.

Hi! Whoops, hadn't seen this.

But yeah, how would I implement the refugium? In the first chamber, preferably?

Old 04-17-2016, 10:07 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

middle, not first. First is way too small. The way to do it would be remove the bio balls, add live rock rubble and a ball of chaeto, get either a shop light or a mini T5 light, attach it to the back of the tank and you're done.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:37 PM   #25

Biocube 29g; refugium in first chamber?

Quote:
middle, not first. First is way too small. The way to do it would be remove the bio balls, add live rock rubble and a ball of chaeto, get either a shop light or a mini T5 light, attach it to the back of the tank and you're done.

Okay. What would contain the chaeto/rubble? An inTank? Also- with that, what else would I use for filtration? (as in, filter floss, purigen, chemipure, etc.?)

I keep asking so many question! Sorry!
One more- are there any alternatives to an inTank, since they seem to be quite expensive for a "fuge media basket". Would any that would fit within the back chamber work?

Old 04-17-2016, 10:40 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

You can YouTube a DIY version made out of egg crate. The in-tank media baskets are expensive I looked at them. I always just put the rubble in loose and the ball is loose and when I needed to I removed the filter between the second and third chamber, and put a bag of purigen in the slot where the Sponge Filter went
Old 04-17-2016, 10:54 PM   #27

Quote:
You can YouTube a DIY version made out of egg crate. The in-tank media baskets are expensive I looked at them. I always just put the rubble in loose and the ball is loose and when I needed to I removed the filter between the second and third chamber, and put a bag of purigen in the slot where the Sponge Filter went

Okay, I think I'm getting this.
In the event of bioball removal, will there be any spike in water levels?
Also- do you recommend caulerpa or chaeto?

Old 04-17-2016, 11:17 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

Either works. My understanding is chaeto is more efficient, less invasive, and legal more places.
The actual volume of the bio balls is quite small, that is what makes them efficient huge surface area with a small Mass. If anything you will have a rise in water level because the rock will take up more space or volume
Old 04-17-2016, 11:19 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

Google or YouTube search BioCube mods and you'll find all kinds of information on building media racks and implementing refugium
Old 04-17-2016, 11:26 PM   #30

Quote:
Google or YouTube search BioCube mods and you'll find all kinds of information on building media racks and implementing refugium

Okay! Thank you SO much for your help and putting up with my constant questions!

I have one last question, I think.

Once the bioballs are out/the new media baskets are in (either inTank or DIY, but in this scenario, we'll say DIY) with their media, would i put anything above them to "trickle" into?
For example, the filter cartridge where the water flowed through to trickle through the bioballs.
Would I continue to use the cartridge above the baskets, or put a sponge there to collect detritus, or what?

Once again- THANKS!

Tags
bio, biocube, cube, refugium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« CUC | Water change »