Biocube 29g; refugium in first chamber?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They make nitrate reducing filter pads as well as liquid nitrate remover

Alright. As for my original question, I watched a video by Marine Depot on modifications made to the biocube, and one of the mods involved was turning the first chamber into a refugium.

Regardless of any previous discussion of the concept of removing bio balls, how would this be done?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Alright. As for my original question, I watched a video by Marine Depot on modifications made to the biocube, and one of the mods involved was turning the first chamber into a refugium.

Regardless of any previous discussion of the concept of removing bio balls, how would this be done?

Water changes are going to be your main source of nitrate export. There are other ways of assisting this, like refugiums, algae turf scrubbers, so on.

Hi! Whoops, hadn't seen this.

But yeah, how would I implement the refugium? In the first chamber, preferably?

middle, not first. First is way too small. The way to do it would be remove the bio balls, add live rock rubble and a ball of chaeto, get either a shop light or a mini T5 light, attach it to the back of the tank and you're done.

middle, not first. First is way too small. The way to do it would be remove the bio balls, add live rock rubble and a ball of chaeto, get either a shop light or a mini T5 light, attach it to the back of the tank and you're done.

Okay. What would contain the chaeto/rubble? An inTank? Also- with that, what else would I use for filtration? (as in, filter floss, purigen, chemipure, etc.?)

I keep asking so many question! Sorry!
One more- are there any alternatives to an inTank, since they seem to be quite expensive for a "fuge media basket". Would any that would fit within the back chamber work?

You can YouTube a DIY version made out of egg crate. The in-tank media baskets are expensive I looked at them. I always just put the rubble in loose and the ball is loose and when I needed to I removed the filter between the second and third chamber, and put a bag of purigen in the slot where the Sponge Filter went

You can YouTube a DIY version made out of egg crate. The in-tank media baskets are expensive I looked at them. I always just put the rubble in loose and the ball is loose and when I needed to I removed the filter between the second and third chamber, and put a bag of purigen in the slot where the Sponge Filter went

Okay, I think I'm getting this.
In the event of bioball removal, will there be any spike in water levels?
Also- do you recommend caulerpa or chaeto?

Either works. My understanding is chaeto is more efficient, less invasive, and legal more places.
The actual volume of the bio balls is quite small, that is what makes them efficient huge surface area with a small Mass. If anything you will have a rise in water level because the rock will take up more space or volume

Google or YouTube search BioCube mods and you'll find all kinds of information on building media racks and implementing refugium

Google or YouTube search BioCube mods and you'll find all kinds of information on building media racks and implementing refugium

Okay! Thank you SO much for your help and putting up with my constant questions!

I have one last question, I think.

Once the bioballs are out/the new media baskets are in (either inTank or DIY, but in this scenario, we'll say DIY) with their media, would i put anything above them to "trickle" into?
For example, the filter cartridge where the water flowed through to trickle through the bioballs.
Would I continue to use the cartridge above the baskets, or put a sponge there to collect detritus, or what?

Once again- THANKS!

Back
Top Bottom