Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-13-2016, 11:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Biocube 29g; refugium in first chamber?

Hi all! After a several month period of a break from any tank upgrades due to an electrical problem and just being plain busy, I have finally gotten back on board!
The biocube has been up for about 2 years now, though the stock is bare minimum- a pair of clowns and a bicolor dottyback.
Now onto the question.
I'm having a nitrate issue. I'd rather not remove the bioballs, so I'm looking elsewhere. Throughout the past 2 weeks or so I have been doing every other day water changes (larger ones; 30%-50% and have made progress from nitrates above 160 ppm to my current level (which I had tested last night after a water change; not sure about now) of around.. 30 ppm, closer to 20?
How would I go about reducing these nitrates more, aside from water changes, of course, like this for another week or so?
I was thinking a liquid nitrate reducer (although I don't have a skimmer), more live rock, and... a refugium in the first chamber, as to not interfere with the bioballs!
How would I go about doing this? I was planning on keeping chaeto, unless anyone else has input!

Once the nitrates are back at hand, I plan to stick to more aggressive/quicker fish (since that dottyback is MEAN, man! he also killed my blood shrimp!) such as damsels, a possible pistol shrimp/goby pair, wrasses, or a valenti puffer? And then cleaning crew, corals, etc.

Other question- how long should I wait until the nitrates have reduced to stock up my cleaning crew/possible fish again?

To summarize- how would I set up a refugium in the first chamber of my biocube (not the second!)/lower nitrates more and the previous question in regards to fish.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 04-14-2016, 07:15 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you have at least 1 and a half lbs of live rock in your tank?Your bio load isn't that much to be creating that high a nitrate number.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 04-14-2016, 07:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricksreef View Post
Do you have at least 1 and a half lbs of live rock in your tank?Your bio load isn't that much to be creating that high a nitrate number.

Yes, I do. Approximately 9 pounds. I hadn't been doing my usually bi-weekly water changes for about 4 months, so I'd think that was what caused the spike.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:48 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry I meant one and a half lbs. per gallon.Also bio- balls are the worst.

Old 04-14-2016, 04:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Sorry I meant one and a half lbs. per gallon.Also bio- balls are the worst.

Ah. I have 9 lbs in all. could that be the issue? I also boiled most of my rock about a year ago due to a huge green hair algae problem as a last resort.

As for the bio-balls. What should I now do? I don't want to get rid of any established bacteria, and they are rather great at turning ammonia into nitrite.

One more thing- am I doing this correctly, as in, should I quote a post every time I'm responding? Thanks!

Old 04-14-2016, 06:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

You definitely need to add more rock,not live,just base rock and it will become live quickly.Replace the bio balls with Chem-pure elite would be a great start.Need some others who have your type tank to chime in,since I'm not familiar with the setup as far as compartments and etc.They could tell you better what to do as far as the filtration.Don't remove the bio balls until you get the one and a half lbs. per gallon of total rock in.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:25 PM   #7

Quote:
You definitely need to add more rock,not live,just base rock and it will become live quickly.Replace the bio balls with Chem-pure elite would be a great start.Need some others who have your type tank to chime in,since I'm not familiar with the setup as far as compartments and etc.They could tell you better what to do as far as the filtration.Don't remove the bio balls until you get the one and a half lbs. per gallon of total rock in.

As for the bio balls, where would I keep the media? And back onto my original question in regards to the refugium?
Do you mean the inTank media baskets?

Old 04-14-2016, 11:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Once you get the needed amount of rock you could run Chem-Pur elite in the media basket in place of the bio balls .Don't know about the refuge part with your tank.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/product...16&productId=3

Go to this site and watch the video on it concerning the media basket and fuge basket.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:31 AM   #10

alright, thank you!

Tags
bio, biocube, cube, refugium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« CUC | Water change »