Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-15-2012, 04:54 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's a pic of my 8 gallon just to give you an idea of what can be done with a 14 gallon then here's a pic of my BC29. You get the point

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-40069142.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	112706

Name:	image-2361089722.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	112707

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:57 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Location: Noneya Business lane in the Who's Asking subdivision of Take a Hike Township.
No no ... his tank for my tank ... idk he said he would trade but I'm thinking more like his tank plus $100.00 bucks for my tank.. .

I won't take only $250.00 for my tank I have $350.00 in it and it's not even a month old yet.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Location: Noneya Business lane in the Who's Asking subdivision of Take a Hike Township.
WOW... what a difference! The 8 is nice for the natural look but man that 29 is spectacular! She's been a good mom so I think she deserves spectacular! lol .. I'd love to that. The guy wants only $250.00 for the Biocube29 I think I'm going to jump on it. I'll trade him my tank for his tank plus 100.00 bucks. Only thing is his tank is brand new in the box which is both good and bad. Bad cause can't tell if it's a leaker but good because never used.

PS... Is the 8 even capable of the 29 or is it just that you've paid more attention to the 29? I’m wondering, would the 14gallon equal the 29 in capability (since same lighting system) but only smaller?

Pss... Did you keep the stock lighting in your 29 or did you upgrade? If that coral is growing off a stock 10k and actinic I AM SOLD ON THE 29!
Old 08-15-2012, 05:16 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Haha yeah jump on it then.

No my BC29 has the AI SOL BLUE LED fixture. I gutted the stock hood and cut a hole for the new fixture. It's on a controller do it ramps up from sunrise to sunset to moonlight to total darkness. It's an amazing light. It even gives you a lighting storm.

http://www.aquaillumination.com/sol/

The 8 gallon is new, just wait I have BIG plans for it!

Here are a few more from my BC29

It has a upgrade pump and a Mp10 power head. InTank media rack.

Name:	image-1606660228.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	242.2 KB
ID:	112710

Name:	image-2957369857.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	112711

Just to give you another perspective on things here's my friends 10 gallon.

Name:	image-584544040.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	112712

So yes these small tanks can look amazing. A lot of work but you can really make these tanks scream if ya know what I mean. Just cause there small don't mean the dog don't bite!

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 08-15-2012, 05:35 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Amen that dog has bite for sure, I never doubt the small but mighties... infact, I'm a fan of doing it small but big if you know what I mean. I like the challange of taking something smaller and just maxing in out. Unfortunately, this won't be my tank so won't be in my house to tweak all year round but I'd love to get the foundation of a great tank going for mom's for a present.

So you're 8 gal will do that ? hmmm... I have some other used options other than the Biocube29...Like this one > 12 gallon Nano Cube Aquarium After some minor detective work it looks like an old NRF 12 Gallon with stand.. anyone have advice on wether or not these were good cubes? It Looks really neglected to me but at $100.00 it's a steal if the filtration is good and it won't leak.

PS .. what's the price of that lighting system ? $500.00 ? lol love it but too rich for mom's blood atm.
Pss... can you link a picture of how you incorporated the lighting into the top of you cube ? I'd love to see how you modded it. I work in IT software/hardware so I'm not shy on modding... have dremel will cut!
Old 08-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here ya go! I would stay away from that offer unless he'll go down a little. He wants cash so... Cash talks! Offer 75 see what he says!

Name:	image-3941024394.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	112764

Name:	image-2374097337.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	112765
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2933350522.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	112766   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3800532804.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	112767  

Name:	image-3261126620.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	112768  

Old 08-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yah, I'm thinking stay away too. I have the huge pleasure/luxury of having just found an EXCELLENT LFS right down the road. The owner Marie has been a hobbyst and community expert for over 50 years and her son (who works the service end) has been doing it for 11 years since the shop opened. They are well known in cricles here in florida and he was asked to be on Tanked but declined because they pay "$0.00" for a full days work.

Anyways, he said that one for $100.00 could be good could be bad depending on what model because during that time frame nanos where "new" and somewhat still evolving. Some of the first ones had a lot of flaws so it depended on the model. I haven't heard back from the owner so who knows. I'm temtped to jump on the Biocube29 but 1. the guy was a D-bag at first and 2. It's kind of earilier than I wanted for a purchase.

I may hang loose till closer to x-mas and I really don't want to sacrafice my new 55gal to have it.
We'll see.

IN the mean time I'll just keep reading more. Oh BTW the LFS guru gives your beginners coral recommendations a thumbs up! Thanks for the list

I'm thinking for fish/invertibrates
1 Arrow crab
2 yellow Clown, i know they get bigger but I'm told they are the whore of the ocean as far as what anemone they will nest in including the cheap $12.00 ones
3. Mabye a Benny? did I say that right ?
4. Not damsels but the tourquies blue/green shinny little fish.
5. and a bunch of corals I can't remember the names to atm

Ps thanks for the mod pictures, they look great. The light fits well like that. What's the media tray for ? Refugium type filtering ?
Old 08-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's blenny lol you were close. You don't want one until the tank is well established. They eat live food unless you wanna try and train it. I went through 4 and gave up. Try a nice yellow face jawfish google it. There awesome to watch!

Clowns are cool, I have 2. I also have a purple fire fish and a orange spotted goby. Cleaner shrimp and peppermint shrimp too! Oh and a blood shrimp and 2 bengii Cardnials

The media rack holds purigen, filter floss and phosguard.

Oops how can I forget her!! She's crazy cool!!

Name:	image-4174206427.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	112793

She eats starfish so her dinner get expensive.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:58 PM   #19
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Sweet where you find her?
Old 08-16-2012, 01:26 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is that a harlequin shrimp? I saw a couple at LfS this week. They are pretty. Weren't cheap, though. And I definitely didn't know it eats starfish. Interesting.

Tags
bio, biocube, cube

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Zoas | Aptasia!! »