Biocube for mom? Christmas prez.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am pretty sure the blue/green fish was a blue/green chromis. I have a couple and they are awesome. If you have a large enough tank i heard they school.

Yup that's a Harlequin shrimp. My LFS had 3 of them and the wife thought they look cool so there ya go. Had to get one.

Ha! that shrimp is awesome! On the starfish topic... I was thinking a serpent star for starters once the tank is ready for it... They look really cool and I heard they are not harmful to the rock/reef and benefical even ?

On the living rock subject. I see two basic kinds 1. Whiteish type rock ( some of it which is "forced" or treated to grow life on it, not sure the term, and some that already has life on it naturally) and 2. The greyish type rock like the kind you have in your tank Convict. Which type is best ? I think for the purple and white anenome the white can look fantastic but for multiple corals I like the greyish rock better... thoughts/ideas, do you concur ? <name the movie lol

:thanks:

Ps. Thanks for all the advice and welcome new posters. I'm loving the knowledge so much I had to swing by the LFS on the way home to talk about all the info and get more. It's awesome. Now (off Topic) if I could only find a 20" T5 FRESHWATER fixture and Bulbs for my 2 tens I'd be a happy camper. I can find fixtures but no FW bulbs :(

Backwater said:
Ha! that shrimp is awesome! On the starfish topic... I was thinking a serpent star for starters once the tank is ready for it... They look really cool and I heard they are not harmful to the rock.

On the living rock subject. I see two basic kinds 1. Whiteish type rock ( some of it which is "forced" or treated to grow life on it, not sure the term, and some that already has life on it naturally) and 2. The greyish type rock like the kind you have in your tank Convict. Which type is best ? I think for the purple and white anenome the white can look fantastic but for multiple corals I like the greyish rock better... thoughts/ideas, do you concur ? <name the movie lol

I'm not sure how safe the starfish is but I do know they an be hard to keep.

On the rock topic, my rock was white, once added after weeks it started to turn brown then grey now has some purple on it. The colors are a sign of your tank cycling and different bacteria growing. So IMO no matter what rock you use it's gonna change colors to a certain degree.

But mine was a nice white and changed to what you see now. Keep in mind my tank is 9 months old.

You don't need live rock you can use base rock I you wanna keep costs down. Also some mix, some base and live.

Some even get live rock and "kill" it by leaving it out in the sun for weeks. This way you don't have to worry about unwanted hitchhikers.

Just another option.

I'm not sure how safe the starfish is but I do know they an be hard to keep.

On the rock topic, my rock was white, once added after weeks it started to turn brown then grey now has some purple on it. The colors are a sign of your tank cycling and different bacteria growing. So IMO no matter what rock you use it's gonna change colors to a certain degree.

But mine was a nice white and changed to what you see now. Keep in mind my tank is 9 months old.

You don't need live rock you can use base rock I you wanna keep costs down. Also some mix, some base and live.

Some even get live rock and "kill" it by leaving it out in the sun for weeks. This way you don't have to worry about unwanted hitchhikers.

Just another option.

Hi good info, The LFS showed me two types of live rock yesterday and they both look like they started off white then got green then purple like you're saying. As they put it, that rock had been Killed on purpose then re-grown/stimulated to grow artifically I think. I'll have to clarify that when I go back today and I'll try to get the name. So I can use non-live rock ? What's the advantage the less problems cycling ? what's the cons, less food for coral and stuff ? I'll also take a pad and pen this time and right down the awesome coral I saw and would like to use when the tank is ready.

PS only 9 months!! you got the tank looking like that in 9 months! that's awesome!

PSS> (off topic) here is my Freshwater ligthing issue if anyone one can help > http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/red-ludwigia-help-wanted-220398.html :thanks:

The advantages of using live rock that has been left out to die off is this....

No unwanted hitchhikers but then again not any good hitchhikers either.

Kind of like you know what your getting. Keep I mind when adding corals that are mounted on rock from a LFS or craigslist etc theres still a chance. I had gotten a mixed coral rock and loved it and then I found aptasia on it and after a long battle I just removed the rock.

You don't need all live rock, it will help with cycle but IMHO you don't need all live rock. I did use all live rock but that was my choice I use 30lbs of live rock and 25lbs of live sand.

Some don't even use live sand.

The rock will eventually grow beneficial bacteria on it and turn colors.

I'll check your link in a few.

Hope all this helps.

I'm no expert and can just offer my experience in 9 months. And thanks!! I worked hard on that tank to get to where it is now.

Well your advice is definitely helping me out... like I said before the LFS gave all your beginner coral advice the 100% (y) so I'm glad to benefit from whatever good knowledge you can pass on.

How much is the average LB of live rock, bag of live sand? I think I am going that route because it seems like a good and very common reciepe a lot of coral growers use.

I just hope all this info doesn't turn me into a salty tanker ;) jk ... It's not as hard as I thought and certainly sounds fun. If I keeping having issues with my 2 10gallon planteds finding adaquate light fixtures I may convert them to Saltwater... which begs the question. If changing a 10gal to a low tech saltwater would any HOB work or are there better filter systems conversions that are reasonably upgradeable too and cheap ? I see some tanks in pictures with what looks to be like a HOB but maybe it's just the head of a larger sump or refugium system... Any quick low tech conversion options you would know ? I ask because 20" Saltwater lighting kits are a dime a dozen yet the Freshwater versions don't exhist anymore :(

PS... if I pester you with too many questions just let me know lol. When my mind starts churning the questions flow like water.

Live rock is $6-10/lb where I live. There's different kinds and different LFS will charge different rates. Petco's prices are little different, they go by S-M-L size rock instead of by pound. Small is $9, Med is about $15 and large are $20. I got my rock from several different places so that they didn't all look the same. Live sand is $20 for 20 lb at my Petco.

Have fun!! Putting it all together is a lot of fun I think!!

I answered your questions in the quoted area. Hope it helps.

Backwater said:
Well your advice is definitely helping me out... like I said before the LFS gave all your beginner coral advice the 100% (y) so I'm glad to benefit from whatever good knowledge you can pass on.

How much is the average LB of live rock, bag of live sand? I think I am going that route because it seems like a good and very common reciepe a lot of coral growers use.

You can fined LR at most LFS depending on the store it can get expensive.

http://www.oceanproaquatics.com/shop/cases-premium-fiji-live-rock-p-6331.html

http://www.liverockranch.com/page/page/6544418.htm

http://www.thepetstop.com/fish-shop/live-rock-1.html

You can also check eBay or Craigslist. My guy sells it for $4 a pound.

I just hope all this info doesn't turn me into a salty tanker ;) jk ... It's not as hard as I thought and certainly sounds fun. If I keeping having issues with my 2 10gallon planteds finding adaquate light fixtures I may convert them to Saltwater... which begs the question. If changing a 10gal to a low tech saltwater would any HOB work or are there better filter systems conversions that are reasonably upgradeable too and cheap ? I see some tanks in pictures with what looks to be like a HOB but maybe it's just the head of a larger sump or refugium system... Any quick low tech conversion options you would know ? I ask because 20" Saltwater lighting kits are a dime a dozen yet the Freshwater versions don't exhist anymore :(

If you did say a 10-20 gallon saltwater tank an AC110 would work well. I have friends that have 10 gallon tanks that are using that setup with great success. Also they have a small nano koralia power head as well. Lighting for planted tanks I can't help with sorry. But if doing a 10-20 gallon saltwater tank Par30 or Par38 LED bulbs would work. My friend runs 3 Par30's from Ecoboost. Google them or ledtric.

PS... if I pester you with too many questions just let me know lol. When my mind starts churning the questions flow like water.

Never a bother and glad to help.

Keep in mind a lot of people don't use live rock or they get it and leave it out in the sun to kill it like mentioned before. And some don't even use live sand.

The choice is yours and of course up to your budget.

I went for all live rock and sand. Not sure if it made a difference or not but I got it all from my buddy's shop ;)

Thank you guys very much for all the info. Yes I'm already having loads of fun :) I love to research and look at pics and learn! Makes the day go by faster. Sorry for the late reply, I was caught up on the planted side of the sphere tonight solving a lighting issue and thanks to Aqua_chem and Convict I think I've solved it. Xing fingers :) hopefully, knocking on wood... dancing jig, kissing blarney stone lol ... you get the picture.

As for the AC110 setup I'll certainly look into that. Convict you mentioned your friend had a 10gallon, is this the same friend with the AC110? I might make mom a home made 10gallon cube... Which AC110 did he get ? Looks like there are several diff versions with different voltages/flow rates and all are called AC110, example > http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=_MYtUPDHHdTKyQHWvYHoBg&ved=0CFsQ8wIwAA
or
http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=_MYtUPDHHdTKyQHWvYHoBg&ved=0CF8Q8wIwAQ
and you mentioned it has a refugium option? that would rock!

That @$29.00 one certainly would be cheaper than the bio cube lol . I'm gonna look into that.. feel free to link more of your friends 10gal pics and products with the specific AC110 model

Peace guys, more tomorrow I'm bushed. :dance::thanks:

Ps convict .. yeah I'm leaning towards the live sand and rock way ... I want this thing to support a large coral ecosystem. well large for it's size. I want to do the best I can with it and I'm under the impression live sand and gravel is the best approach. I haven't gotten to the point where I weight the pros and cons yet so if you feel like listing, list away :) otherwise I'll research in when I get a moment and run it by my LFS guru too. :)

peace.

I am pretty sure the blue/green fish was a blue/green chromis. I have a couple and they are awesome. If you have a large enough tank i heard they school.

Yep I do believe those are the ones. They are not really exotic looking but they have a subtile beautiful with the way the color changes from green to blue the closer they swim to the top/attinic lights. And they shimmer. Nice peaceful looking fish and according to my LFS guru, a much less aggressive choice than the damsels.

AquaClear 110 Power Filter - Up to 110 gal. | ThatPetPlace.com

This is what he uses. Aquaclear's 110.

I think I posted a pic of his tank.

Yep you did and it looked beautiful I just couldn't tell what type of HOB it was. Some HOB refugiums have that clear look I thought.

Ok well that AC-110 is readily available. Says it's a 500Gph and up to 100gal. I've notice that for FW the recommended turnover is four times the tank size... I.E. a 55gal tank would Ideally need a 4x55=230GPH filter (after media added to canister which slows flow) ... but it seems like people with saltwater tanks recommend at least a 7-8 times over-turn minium. At 10gal with that 500gph filter your friends 10gal saltwater tank would turn over 50 times an hour lol... It looks crystal clear and great so don't get me wrong but is that a little too much over kill on GPH or am I just lost in the FW to SW translation on GPH ? :blink: :) How much GPH filtration would I want MINIUM for a 10gal medium-heavy coral tank HOB filter ?

It's no bad at all. It's also a fuge too, he painted it black(probably why it was hard to tell) he loves it. He also have a koralia nano power head so I'd say the flow is just fine.

He has no issues to report and his tank has been running a lot longer then mine.

It's no bad at all. It's also a fuge too, he painted it black(probably why it was hard to tell) he loves it. He also have a koralia nano power head so I'd say the flow is just fine.

He has no issues to report and his tank has been running a lot longer than mine.

Yea it looks great, not trying to say if it's wrong or right... just wondering if a lesser GPH one will do the job as well. Say like a 300GPH version. And I'm also just trying to correlate between freshwater and saltwater because seems like on the FW side they say 4-5turnovers per hour where as in saltwater the common phrase is "you can never have too much filtration" so I'm wondering is there a minimal limit and is the higher filtration a requirement because saltwater/live rocks and coral just need way higher filtration especially out of an HOB ?

PS> I wonder if the painting it black mod is to combat the algae that can grow in it easily because it's clear. I've read that the clearness is the only downside to that pump because of the algae that can grow in it and that you can see it real easy. Maybe he painted it to eliminate that issue. Cool mod if he did it like that for that reason, never occurred to me to do that. I've looked at that filter for a freshwater setup before.

Depending on what type of corals you'll need high flow.

The AC110 and a power head will be just fine.

But looking around and getting other opinions is fine. I'm not an expert lol. Wish I was.

Just sharing what I know and what's been working for both my friend and I.

KK I'll look into that, It sounds easy enough and I can't argue with your logic because the proof is in the tanks they look great. I'm just a "why" person. Nature of my job to ask why so I tend to try and figure everything out.

PS. I found the LEDTRIC Par30s but what is 60*, 90* and 120* optics? Having problems finding Ecoboost because google keeps spitting out Ford websites on that search.

Depending on what type of corals you'll need high flow.

The AC110 and a power head will be just fine.

But looking around and getting other opinions is fine. I'm not an expert lol. Wish I was.

Just sharing what I know and what's been working for both my friend and I.

What kind of lamp fixture would you put that Par30 LED in ? Would any old clip on lamp fixture work ?

He went with the Ecoboost clamp but I'm guessing any fixture would work. I know you need the let the breath to allow for heat escape.

Reef Lamp Clamp by BoostLED

yeah that's the fixture I saw in a google pic but with the Ledtric lights... looks nice. Will that one lamp take care of everything fish/coral/live rock etc or would I need a daylight lamp too ? Moonlight sold seperately?

Back
Top Bottom