Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-17-2012, 07:59 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://www.thatpetplace.com/aquaclea...filter-110-gal

This is what he uses. Aquaclear's 110.

I think I posted a pic of his tank.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Regular

Location: Noneya Business lane in the Who's Asking subdivision of Take a Hike Township.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoaGecko View Post
I am pretty sure the blue/green fish was a blue/green chromis. I have a couple and they are awesome. If you have a large enough tank i heard they school.
Yep I do believe those are the ones. They are not really exotic looking but they have a subtile beautiful with the way the color changes from green to blue the closer they swim to the top/attinic lights. And they shimmer. Nice peaceful looking fish and according to my LFS guru, a much less aggressive choice than the damsels.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:22 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Regular

Location: Noneya Business lane in the Who's Asking subdivision of Take a Hike Township.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post
AquaClear 110 Power Filter - Up to 110 gal. | ThatPetPlace.com

This is what he uses. Aquaclear's 110.

I think I posted a pic of his tank.
Yep you did and it looked beautiful I just couldn't tell what type of HOB it was. Some HOB refugiums have that clear look I thought.

Ok well that AC-110 is readily available. Says it's a 500Gph and up to 100gal. I've notice that for FW the recommended turnover is four times the tank size... I.E. a 55gal tank would Ideally need a 4x55=230GPH filter (after media added to canister which slows flow) ... but it seems like people with saltwater tanks recommend at least a 7-8 times over-turn minium. At 10gal with that 500gph filter your friends 10gal saltwater tank would turn over 50 times an hour lol... It looks crystal clear and great so don't get me wrong but is that a little too much over kill on GPH or am I just lost in the FW to SW translation on GPH ? How much GPH filtration would I want MINIUM for a 10gal medium-heavy coral tank HOB filter ?
Old 08-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's no bad at all. It's also a fuge too, he painted it black(probably why it was hard to tell) he loves it. He also have a koralia nano power head so I'd say the flow is just fine.

He has no issues to report and his tank has been running a lot longer then mine.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 08-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
It's no bad at all. It's also a fuge too, he painted it black(probably why it was hard to tell) he loves it. He also have a koralia nano power head so I'd say the flow is just fine.
Quote:

He has no issues to report and his tank has been running a lot longer than mine.

Yea it looks great, not trying to say if it's wrong or right... just wondering if a lesser GPH one will do the job as well. Say like a 300GPH version. And I'm also just trying to correlate between freshwater and saltwater because seems like on the FW side they say 4-5turnovers per hour where as in saltwater the common phrase is "you can never have too much filtration" so I'm wondering is there a minimal limit and is the higher filtration a requirement because saltwater/live rocks and coral just need way higher filtration especially out of an HOB ?

PS> I wonder if the painting it black mod is to combat the algae that can grow in it easily because it's clear. I've read that the clearness is the only downside to that pump because of the algae that can grow in it and that you can see it real easy. Maybe he painted it to eliminate that issue. Cool mod if he did it like that for that reason, never occurred to me to do that. I've looked at that filter for a freshwater setup before.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Depending on what type of corals you'll need high flow.

The AC110 and a power head will be just fine.

But looking around and getting other opinions is fine. I'm not an expert lol. Wish I was.

Just sharing what I know and what's been working for both my friend and I.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Regular

KK I'll look into that, It sounds easy enough and I can't argue with your logic because the proof is in the tanks they look great. I'm just a "why" person. Nature of my job to ask why so I tend to try and figure everything out.

PS. I found the LEDTRIC Par30s but what is 60*, 90* and 120* optics? Having problems finding Ecoboost because google keeps spitting out Ford websites on that search.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Depending on what type of corals you'll need high flow.

The AC110 and a power head will be just fine.

But looking around and getting other opinions is fine. I'm not an expert lol. Wish I was.

Just sharing what I know and what's been working for both my friend and I.
What kind of lamp fixture would you put that Par30 LED in ? Would any old clip on lamp fixture work ?
Old 08-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

He went with the Ecoboost clamp but I'm guessing any fixture would work. I know you need the let the breath to allow for heat escape.

http://www.boostled.com/products/reef-lamp-lamp-clamp

Old 08-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
He went with the Ecoboost clamp but I'm guessing any fixture would work. I know you need the let the breath to allow for heat escape.

Reef Lamp Clamp by BoostLED
yeah that's the fixture I saw in a google pic but with the Ledtric lights... looks nice. Will that one lamp take care of everything fish/coral/live rock etc or would I need a daylight lamp too ? Moonlight sold seperately?

Tags
bio, biocube, cube

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Zoas | Aptasia!! »