Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Location: Noneya Business lane in the Who's Asking subdivision of Take a Hike Township.
Biocube for mom? Christmas prez.

Hi all and welcome,

Well, I am a planted tank kind of guy but mom wants in on the aquarium fun this year for x-mas and wouldn't you know it ... she wants to be a salty lol. It's like she just discovered there was such a thing as saltwater tanks after seeing a clientís 90gallon reef setup up. Well, mom is not getting 90gallons lol but my wallet and I can handle a Biocube14 I have never ventured into the salty realm but I'm actually looking forward to the opportunity to test my sea legs and build a nano saltwater setup so I'm posting today to ask for advice in several areas.

1. I know NOTHING about the saltwater cycle so if you don't mind posting any good links for that please do
2. For all those with Biocube or nano reef setups, please advise any mods that I'd be required to make (i.e. small power heads, heating, modding filtration etc etc) to setup a very stable and well preserved mini/nano Biocube14 reef tank with simple stuff like button coral and easy anemones along with yellow clown fish.
3. What species of coral, anemones, invertebrates and fish would you recommend for a saltwater Biocube14? Keep in mind this is for mom so I'd like the hardy species over the rare prettier ones. I certainly don't want fragile fish/coral dyeing on her all the time requiring daily visits to service the tank. I was thinking things like yellow clowns, and arrow crab and button corals and the cheaper anemones that the yellow clown feeds. Iíd like to make this as simple as a self sustaining eco system as possible within the budget.
4. what the heck is a protien skimmer and will i need one ? lol
5. Finally, is the Biocube14 the right choice ? I'll welcome other product links but my budget for this is between $300-$400.00 total with stand. I figure @$300 for the gear and about $100.00 for fish/coral will get her started. I've seen the Evolve 8's but I like the lighting on the Biocube14 better and the size.

All friendly and helpful advice welcome

Old 08-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Well i'll give this a bit i a shot.

The cycle takes about a month. Google salt watet tank set up and there are lots if good articels. Put your sand, live/dead rock and water in and then decide how you want to cycle. Many use a shrimp and let it rot, others use a damsel fish cause they are hardy but then you are stuck with an agressive fish.

You dont need mods for a litte nano but of course there are lots out there. If you want any corals other than soft you would have to get stronger lights. The biocube skimmer works but its a pain. Its so small you have to empty it all the time, if you are getting a skimmer go with another brand made for the cube.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

As far as stocking the coral i ha sucsess with were...

Leathers
Mushroom
Colt coral
Polyps
Green star poylps

Get 5 snails and 5 crabs to start off the clean up crew but after the cycle or they will die.

I had a blue damsel and a litte clown fish and they both did fine in the 14 gallon.

I would also suggest a cleaner shrimp, they are hardy and add red and yellow to the tank.

For your price range a biocube is a good start. If you can aford the 29 gallon over the 14 id recomend it, the bigger the tank the easier it is to keep good water.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Location: Noneya Business lane in the Who's Asking subdivision of Take a Hike Township.
Animal-chin!

I heard they can take a while and I am kind of leaning towards the shrimp way but what's the "let it rot" way ? Is that same as shrimp... Also, I'd love a little damsel in there because I heard they are good reef cleaners. I'd love a 3 stripe or a domino but don't know how good they would do with Arrow shrimp and yellow clown.

Also, so the lights are weak ? I was thinking they were pretty good. Would the LED lights in the Aqueon Evolve 8 be better ? Also, I found this post in my local Craigs list > 12 gallon Nano Cube Aquarium

Looks like maybe an older JBJ .. they only want $100bucks but what is all that yuck in it? could it be cleaned/restored ?
Old 08-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hi again,

Thanks for the more info I am a little confused by this sentence though.. "Get 5 snails and 5 crabs to start off the clean up crew but after the cycle or they will die" ... what will die and when will they die ? Are you saing the snails and crabs will die or the Leathers, Mushroom, Colt coral, Polyps and Green star poylps will die if i don't have a clean up crew ?

Yea the 29 would be awesome... someone is selling a JBJ for pretty cheap ... are those lights better ? looks like it has metal hilaide lights.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Once its set up just drop a raw shrimp in the tank for a few weeks. Put it in the toe of a pair of nylons so you can easily renove it (or something like that).

That pink in that tank is giod. Its coraline algae and its a result of a food system. You want some but if that is too much for your taste you can scrape it off, no worries there.

Other start up costs to think about.

Heater $20
Net $5
Food $10
Test kits for the water ( ph, nitrite, nitrate) $50
Algae magnet $15
Old 08-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Gotcha, yea I have 4 planted tanks so I figured on the heater, test kit etc etc .. and if I bought that one for 100.00 I'd probably add atinic lights to the hood and a moonlight strip aswell.
That tank is set up already so are you saying just drop the shrimp in it ?

This is what I'd like to turn that tank into (attached below) ... is it possible with that 12gallon 100.00 cube i linked ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	biocube_coral.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	112700  
Old 08-15-2012, 04:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your tank can look like that in time just be patient. You can send it to me and I'll mod that little tank out like no other lol. I see your on a budget. I was going to give you all these ideas to make that tank like no other!

So much can be done to that tank.

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/BioCube-14_c15.htm

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

I found a guy online selling a Biocube 29 for only 250.00 brand new in box. He says he has reciepts and didn't steal it lol. He does want to trade me my 55gal for it but not sure if I want to ... My 55gal is pictured below and just awaiting heatcables (possibly still deciding) and substrate. I think the 55gal is worth more than the biocube imo.

I know it will take sometime thus why I'm starting now way before xmas. Heck no ! I want the free advice and all the fun of setting it up myself! lol

PS... that link is nice! thanks again.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120813_174129.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	112701  
Old 08-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

250.00 plus your tank? I wouldn't do it.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bio, biocube, cube

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Zoas | Aptasia!! »