Biocube for mom? Christmas prez.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Backwater

Aquarium Advice Regular
Noneya Business lane in the Who's Asking subdivisi
Hi all and welcome,

Well, I am a planted tank kind of guy but mom wants in on the aquarium fun this year for x-mas and wouldn't you know it ... she wants to be a salty ;) lol. It's like she just discovered there was such a thing as saltwater tanks after seeing a client’s 90gallon reef setup up. Well, mom is not getting 90gallons lol but my wallet and I can handle a Biocube14 :) I have never ventured into the salty realm but I'm actually looking forward to the opportunity to test my sea legs and build a nano saltwater setup so I'm posting today to ask for advice in several areas.

1. I know NOTHING about the saltwater cycle so if you don't mind posting any good links for that please do :)
2. For all those with Biocube or nano reef setups, please advise any mods that I'd be required to make (i.e. small power heads, heating, modding filtration etc etc) to setup a very stable and well preserved mini/nano Biocube14 reef tank with simple stuff like button coral and easy anemones along with yellow clown fish.
3. What species of coral, anemones, invertebrates and fish would you recommend for a saltwater Biocube14? Keep in mind this is for mom so I'd like the hardy species over the rare prettier ones. I certainly don't want fragile fish/coral dyeing on her all the time requiring daily visits to service the tank. I was thinking things like yellow clowns, and arrow crab and button corals and the cheaper anemones that the yellow clown feeds. I’d like to make this as simple as a self sustaining eco system as possible within the budget.
4. what the heck is a protien skimmer and will i need one ? lol :facepalm:
5. Finally, is the Biocube14 the right choice ? I'll welcome other product links but my budget for this is between $300-$400.00 total with stand. I figure @$300 for the gear and about $100.00 for fish/coral will get her started. I've seen the Evolve 8's but I like the lighting on the Biocube14 better and the size.

All friendly and helpful advice welcome :)

:thanks:

Well i'll give this a bit i a shot.

The cycle takes about a month. Google salt watet tank set up and there are lots if good articels. Put your sand, live/dead rock and water in and then decide how you want to cycle. Many use a shrimp and let it rot, others use a damsel fish cause they are hardy but then you are stuck with an agressive fish.

You dont need mods for a litte nano but of course there are lots out there. If you want any corals other than soft you would have to get stronger lights. The biocube skimmer works but its a pain. Its so small you have to empty it all the time, if you are getting a skimmer go with another brand made for the cube.

As far as stocking the coral i ha sucsess with were...

Leathers
Mushroom
Colt coral
Polyps
Green star poylps

Get 5 snails and 5 crabs to start off the clean up crew but after the cycle or they will die.

I had a blue damsel and a litte clown fish and they both did fine in the 14 gallon.

I would also suggest a cleaner shrimp, they are hardy and add red and yellow to the tank.

For your price range a biocube is a good start. If you can aford the 29 gallon over the 14 id recomend it, the bigger the tank the easier it is to keep good water.

Animal-chin! :thanks:

I heard they can take a while and I am kind of leaning towards the shrimp way but what's the "let it rot" way ? Is that same as shrimp... Also, I'd love a little damsel in there because I heard they are good reef cleaners. I'd love a 3 stripe or a domino but don't know how good they would do with Arrow shrimp and yellow clown.

Also, so the lights are weak ? I was thinking they were pretty good. Would the LED lights in the Aqueon Evolve 8 be better ? Also, I found this post in my local Craigs list > 12 gallon Nano Cube Aquarium

Looks like maybe an older JBJ .. they only want $100bucks but what is all that yuck in it? could it be cleaned/restored ?

Hi again,

Thanks for the more info :) I am a little confused by this sentence though.. "Get 5 snails and 5 crabs to start off the clean up crew but after the cycle or they will die" ... what will die and when will they die ? Are you saing the snails and crabs will die or the Leathers, Mushroom, Colt coral, Polyps and Green star poylps will die if i don't have a clean up crew ?

Yea the 29 would be awesome... someone is selling a JBJ for pretty cheap ... are those lights better ? looks like it has metal hilaide lights.

Once its set up just drop a raw shrimp in the tank for a few weeks. Put it in the toe of a pair of nylons so you can easily renove it (or something like that).

That pink in that tank is giod. Its coraline algae and its a result of a food system. You want some but if that is too much for your taste you can scrape it off, no worries there.

Other start up costs to think about.

Heater $20
Net $5
Food $10
Test kits for the water ( ph, nitrite, nitrate) $50
Algae magnet $15

Gotcha, yea I have 4 planted tanks so I figured on the heater, test kit etc etc .. and if I bought that one for 100.00 I'd probably add atinic lights to the hood and a moonlight strip aswell.
That tank is set up already so are you saying just drop the shrimp in it ?

This is what I'd like to turn that tank into (attached below) ... is it possible with that 12gallon 100.00 cube i linked ?

Attachments

• biocube_coral.jpg
    biocube_coral.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 262
I found a guy online selling a Biocube 29 for only 250.00 brand new in box. He says he has reciepts and didn't steal it lol. He does want to trade me my 55gal for it but not sure if I want to ... My 55gal is pictured below and just awaiting heatcables (possibly still deciding) and substrate. I think the 55gal is worth more than the biocube imo.

I know it will take sometime thus why I'm starting now way before xmas. Heck no ! I want the free advice and all the fun of setting it up myself! lol ;)

PS... that link is nice! thanks again.

:thanks:

Attachments

• IMG_20120813_174129.jpg
    IMG_20120813_174129.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 128
Here's a pic of my 8 gallon just to give you an idea of what can be done with a 14 gallon then here's a pic of my BC29. You get the point :)

image-40069142.jpg

image-2361089722.jpg

WOW... what a difference! The 8 is nice for the natural look but man that 29 is spectacular! She's been a good mom so I think she deserves spectacular! lol .. I'd love to that. The guy wants only $250.00 for the Biocube29 I think I'm going to jump on it. I'll trade him my tank for his tank plus 100.00 bucks. Only thing is his tank is brand new in the box which is both good and bad. Bad cause can't tell if it's a leaker but good because never used.

PS... Is the 8 even capable of the 29 or is it just that you've paid more attention to the 29? I’m wondering, would the 14gallon equal the 29 in capability (since same lighting system) but only smaller?

Pss... Did you keep the stock lighting in your 29 or did you upgrade? If that coral is growing off a stock 10k and actinic I AM SOLD ON THE 29!

Haha yeah jump on it then.

No my BC29 has the AI SOL BLUE LED fixture. I gutted the stock hood and cut a hole for the new fixture. It's on a controller do it ramps up from sunrise to sunset to moonlight to total darkness. It's an amazing light. It even gives you a lighting storm.

http://www.aquaillumination.com/sol/

The 8 gallon is new, just wait I have BIG plans for it!

Here are a few more from my BC29

It has a upgrade pump and a Mp10 power head. InTank media rack.

image-1606660228.jpg

image-2957369857.jpg

Just to give you another perspective on things here's my friends 10 gallon.

image-584544040.jpg

So yes these small tanks can look amazing. A lot of work but you can really make these tanks scream if ya know what I mean. Just cause there small don't mean the dog don't bite!

Amen that dog has bite for sure, I never doubt the small but mighties... infact, I'm a fan of doing it small but big if you know what I mean. I like the challange of taking something smaller and just maxing in out. Unfortunately, this won't be my tank so won't be in my house to tweak all year round but I'd love to get the foundation of a great tank going for mom's for a present.

So you're 8 gal will do that ? hmmm... I have some other used options other than the Biocube29...Like this one > 12 gallon Nano Cube Aquarium After some minor detective work it looks like an old NRF 12 Gallon with stand.. anyone have advice on wether or not these were good cubes? It Looks really neglected to me but at $100.00 it's a steal if the filtration is good and it won't leak.

PS .. what's the price of that lighting system ? $500.00 ? lol love it but too rich for mom's blood atm.
Pss... can you link a picture of how you incorporated the lighting into the top of you cube ? I'd love to see how you modded it. I work in IT software/hardware so I'm not shy on modding... have dremel will cut!

Here ya go! I would stay away from that offer unless he'll go down a little. He wants cash so... Cash talks! Offer 75 see what he says!

image-3941024394.jpg

image-2374097337.jpg

Attachments

• image-2933350522.jpg
    image-2933350522.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 77
  • image-3800532804.jpg
    image-3800532804.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 75
  • image-3261126620.jpg
    image-3261126620.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 87
Yah, I'm thinking stay away too. I have the huge pleasure/luxury of having just found an EXCELLENT LFS right down the road. The owner Marie has been a hobbyst and community expert for over 50 years and her son (who works the service end) has been doing it for 11 years since the shop opened. They are well known in cricles here in florida and he was asked to be on Tanked but declined because they pay "$0.00" for a full days work.

Anyways, he said that one for $100.00 could be good could be bad depending on what model because during that time frame nanos where "new" and somewhat still evolving. Some of the first ones had a lot of flaws so it depended on the model. I haven't heard back from the owner so who knows. I'm temtped to jump on the Biocube29 but 1. the guy was a D-bag at first and 2. It's kind of earilier than I wanted for a purchase.

I may hang loose till closer to x-mas and I really don't want to sacrafice my new 55gal to have it.
We'll see.

IN the mean time I'll just keep reading more. Oh BTW the LFS guru gives your beginners coral recommendations a thumbs up! (y) Thanks for the list :)

I'm thinking for fish/invertibrates
1 Arrow crab
2 yellow Clown, i know they get bigger but I'm told they are the whore of the ocean as far as what anemone they will nest in including the cheap $12.00 ones :)
3. Mabye a Benny? did I say that right ?
4. Not damsels but the tourquies blue/green shinny little fish.
5. and a bunch of corals I can't remember the names to atm :)

Ps thanks for the mod pictures, they look great. The light fits well like that. What's the media tray for ? Refugium type filtering ?

It's blenny lol you were close. You don't want one until the tank is well established. They eat live food unless you wanna try and train it. I went through 4 and gave up. Try a nice yellow face jawfish google it. There awesome to watch!

Clowns are cool, I have 2. I also have a purple fire fish and a orange spotted goby. Cleaner shrimp and peppermint shrimp too! Oh and a blood shrimp and 2 bengii Cardnials

The media rack holds purigen, filter floss and phosguard.

Oops how can I forget her!! She's crazy cool!!

image-4174206427.jpg

She eats starfish so her dinner get expensive.

Is that a harlequin shrimp? I saw a couple at LfS this week. They are pretty. Weren't cheap, though. And I definitely didn't know it eats starfish. Interesting. :)

Back
Top Bottom