Biocube lighting options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Southpaw

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone I have the biocube hqi and just got back from the lfs with an opinion from one of the employees. Since I have a mix of sps Lps he believes me running my MH for 6 hours will eventually burn my corals. He suggested doing a DIY led setup and run that for ~8 hours with a couple hour burst of the MH.

Would you tend to agree with his opinion? If so can someone point me in the direction of how to go about this project; I would be totally new to LEDs.

Hey everyone I have the biocube hqi and just got back from the lfs with an opinion from one of the employees. Since I have a mix of sps Lps he believes me running my MH for 6 hours will eventually burn my corals. He suggested doing a DIY led setup and run that for ~8 hours with a couple hour burst of the MH.

Would you tend to agree with his opinion? If so can someone point me in the direction of how to go about this project; I would be totally new to LEDs.

I have the HQI as well and have ran mine for 8-9 hours since last August. I have A mixed tank and have had no bleaching problems. Sounds like poor advice.

That's ridiculous advice IMO. Your light is fine for 9 hours a day then moonlights, if you wanna do them.

ALOT of people still run MH with T5's. I'll let the lighting gurus to chime in.

This was the first time I was told this and shocked! I am glad I checked with you guys before I acted too quickly. With the stock light fixture I can place Lps and softies in other places than the substrate? That is where he was telling me to place anything but sps in my tank. Right now a lot of my corals are closed, but I think that is due too strong of current. :/

Anyone else having either success or nightmare lighting stories with this tank setup?

I have the hqi and it is a mixed reef. I have softies and lps all over, not just on the substrate. I also have a bunch of sps on the top half. I recently switched over to the taotronics because I didn't like how hot the MH got, but I was running it 8 hours a day with no ill effects on my corals

I am having great success with it. Everyone of the coral in my tank are multiplying quickly. I went from 3 to 7 heads of frogspawn, 3 to 8 green hairy mushrooms, 5 to 9 orange Zoe's and on and on. It's a good option for an all in one deal.

This is great to hear, do you run it 8 hours also? I run mine 6 and had very little growth and my frogspawn is lacking color. My water parameters are ideal.

Back
Top Bottom