Biocube29 skimmer and tab mod question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Narco944

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi, im new here. my wife had this biocube29 and now is too busy to mess with it so im trying to learn as i go. ill be posting lots of questions. i genuinely try to search before asking so please dont jump me if im beating a dead horse. im a member of several forums and even a mod on another so i know it can be frustrating. im going to create my own tank thread with lots of pics and videos this weekend to solicit advice from you brainiacs. i know NOTHING about tanks so be gentle!

my first quick question is tonight i was researching why this tank loses so much water. i mist add 4-8 cups a day sometimes. anyway, while doing so i see that a lot of you did a simple mod where you cut the tab from chamber 1 going to chamber 2 to increase flow.

1- why is this that beneficial?
2- currently my wife had a protein skimmer hooked to that tab. if i cut it off how do i secure the skimmer? how high should the skimmer cup sit? im thinking if i cut the tab the skimmer cup will be sitting lower in chamber 1 once i figure out a new way to secure it.

if it matters the tank does not have a hood/lid but the chambers do have a cover. i think im running the HQI light? it looks just like this setup:
Oceanic BioCube HQI 29 Gallon Aquarium Oceanic BioCube 29 HQI Oceanic BioCube 29 Aquarium 29G Oceanic Systems BioCube HQI Metal Halide

thanks in advance for any help...
Roger

I know nothing about 'cubes. But 1/4 to 1/2 gal per day for an uncovered tank is not outside the norm. Consider an ATO (auto top off). My 110gal looses 1 gal per day.

hi, im new here. my wife had this biocube29 and now is too busy to mess with it so im trying to learn as i go. ill be posting lots of questions. i genuinely try to search before asking so please dont jump me if im beating a dead horse. im a member of several forums and even a mod on another so i know it can be frustrating. im going to create my own tank thread with lots of pics and videos this weekend to solicit advice from you brainiacs. i know NOTHING about tanks so be gentle!

my first quick question is tonight i was researching why this tank loses so much water. i mist add 4-8 cups a day sometimes. anyway, while doing so i see that a lot of you did a simple mod where you cut the tab from chamber 1 going to chamber 2 to increase flow.

1- why is this that beneficial?
2- currently my wife had a protein skimmer hooked to that tab. if i cut it off how do i secure the skimmer? how high should the skimmer cup sit? im thinking if i cut the tab the skimmer cup will be sitting lower in chamber 1 once i figure out a new way to secure it.

if it matters the tank does not have a hood/lid but the chambers do have a cover. i think im running the HQI light? it looks just like this setup:
Oceanic BioCube HQI 29 Gallon Aquarium Oceanic BioCube 29 HQI Oceanic BioCube 29 Aquarium 29G Oceanic Systems BioCube HQI Metal Halide

thanks in advance for any help...
Roger

This may help...

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f101/the-bio-cube-29-information-thread-221710.html

You don't need a skimmer if you do your weekly water changes. Cutting the tab most do to add the inTank media basket and to allow for more, better flow. I think you'll see some of the questions are answered in the linked thread. Of not ask away.

thanks. yeah i had found that thread too. it doesnt explain the benefit of more flow though. also, i see just as many threads that say i do need a skimmer as ones that say i dont. besides, if i have it i might as well use it i guess. but how can i mount it in chamber 1 if i cut the tab?

thanks. yeah i had found that thread too. it doesnt explain the benefit of more flow though. also, i see just as many threads that say i do need a skimmer as ones that say i dont. besides, if i have it i might as well use it i guess. but how can i mount it in chamber 1 if i cut the tab?

Don't cut the tab if your going to use the oceanic skimmer.

I tested skimmer vs no skimmer and it made no difference in water quality with 5 gallon water changes a week.

But yeah... Try and see...

Don't use the oceanic skimmer what so ever. It's a piece of junk. If you want a skimmer and persoanlly, it would not hurt at all, go with a Hydor Slim Skim Nano. It's what I use.

Ok thanks. If I use the one you recommend can I cut that tab and still mount it in chamber 1?

I just wanna add this. IF you have to buy a skimmer then I STRONGLY suggestion saving your money! You don't need a skimmer. BUT... If your already have one and want to use it then go for it.

I'm not sure about cutting the tab. I would leave it alone of your NOT planning on using the inTank media rack and water directional. That's one main reason for cutting the tab. To allow more flow into the rack then media. Also most when cutting the tab will also upgrade the stock pump.

Just some food for thought.

You don't need to cut the tab ( I don't think) in Chamber one. I have my skimmer is Chamber one. It's a tight squeeze, but it fits. As Convict mentioned, I would also use this Biocube 29 Media Basket. Make sure you chose the correct Biocube. There are two. Oceanic and Coral life. I have the Coral Life one.

Well, since I'm not sure which one I've got and I need to research this media basket I think I'll just leave it alone for now until I learn more about what exactly I'm dealing with.

No benefit to the skimmer at all?

Well, since I'm not sure which one I've got and I need to research this media basket I think I'll just leave it alone for now until I learn more about what exactly I'm dealing with.

No benefit to the skimmer at all?

Your question on the skimmer. I ran a test with the skimmer running for months and then no skimmer for months. My parameters were the same NO difference at all. Now keep in mind I did 5 gallon water changes EVERY Saturday, changed the poly fill 2x's a week, ran chemi pure elite, purigen and phoguard also fed every other day.

I'm sure that all factored in.

Back
Top Bottom