Biopellets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jcj0033

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is everyone's opinion on a bio pellet reactor. Are they good at getting rid of nitrates and phosphates ? I want to make my tank a sps tank but I have nitrates and phosphates. I have a 275 gallon tank and 6 fish right now but I want to add at least about 15 more fish, small ones though.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Bio pellets it works for some and not for others, if you decide to try them you will need a good protein skimmer and the outlet of the reactor need to run alongside the skimmer intake, which you need to run wet ,also you don't add too much pallets in one go you gradually built up over a length of time as for what it gets rid of ,if it works for you it will reduce or get rid of your No3 as for your phos in my opinion it doesn't really affect it that much and will need to run a phos remover as well, there are some brands of pellets that state they removed both but from what I've read people still seem to have to use a Phos remover in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how big are your fish ?

275g with 6 fish and your seeing nitrates and phosphates ?

how much are you feeding ?

the best way to get rid of nitrates and phosphates is to do bigger water changes .
if you do a 50% water change it will cut your current reading in half .
find the source of the nitrates/phosphates and correct that first before thinking about adding more fish.

do you do weekly maintenance on this tank . how big are your water changes .
5% is the minimum you should be doing which is 27.5g on a 275g tank .

I always saw problems using bio pellets or bio balls they always seemed to be the source not the fix , they trap all debris and over time if not maintained can lead to even more nitrates and phosphates and add to the problem

how big are your fish ?

275g with 6 fish and your seeing nitrates and phosphates ?

how much are you feeding ?

the best way to get rid of nitrates and phosphates is to do bigger water changes .
if you do a 50% water change it will cut your current reading in half .
find the source of the nitrates/phosphates and correct that first before thinking about adding more fish.

do you do weekly maintenance on this tank . how big are your water changes .
5% is the minimum you should be doing which is 27.5g on a 275g tank .

I always saw problems using bio pellets or bio balls they always seemed to be the source not the fix , they trap all debris and over time if not maintained can lead to even more nitrates and phosphates and add to the problem

But... 27.5 is 10% of 275(?). 5% would be 13.75 gallons.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

you are correct as I had a typo . 13.75 is 5%
also forgot to mention depending the size of the fish the waist factor will increase
meaning the water changes will need to be increased.
I just started a experiment on my predator tank a few weeks ago 3g water change every other day so far it seems to help keeping parameters in sink ,
it's still a 10% water change over a 7 day period but I do see a big difference .
my nitrates seem to be more stable . I also have more time to do this as I am retired
see if you could work it into your schedule it may work for you

Back
Top Bottom