Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-02-2012, 10:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Biopellets: do they work? Better than carbon/gfo?

I recently started dosing vinegar. I would love to not dose everyday. Are bio pellets just as effective as vinegar? Can I run bio pellets in each reactor of the BRS dual reactor? Would I be better to run carbon in one reactor and gfo in the other instead of the biopellets and continue vinegar? How much would carbon and gfo help?

Old 08-02-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have been running biopellets on two of my tanks with completely opposite results. lol

The 125g it had zero effect on, helped with the phosphates a tad but but that was it. That reactor was running for about 5 months before i took it down the other day.

The 60g has seen not a marked decrease in trates but they are not rising as quickly as they used to. Also helping with phosphates in this tank as well.

So to me, the jury is still out or not if it's a good system. lol Oh, and also, you need different containers for the biopellets I believe, you dont use the ones with the sponges and you have to run pellets in their own reactor. Alot of places will say not to run gfo while running pellets in the beginning anyway. If it were me I would run gfo and carbon in the dual reactor and if you want to add pellets get another reactor just for that.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok. Would gfo and carbon help with trates at all? How much will it benefit the system?
Old 08-02-2012, 11:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Well the gfo will knock down any phosphates you may have and the carbon can help remove some impurities in the water but as far as nitrates i don;t think either will make a difference. :-(

If you decide to go with pellets make sure you get a larger reactor so that you can run enough pellets. A 150g tank would require 3 cups of pellets, or about 750grams which is way too much for the BRS biopellet reactor or the phosban reactors with the plastic screens that you use for pellets. There are two reactors at BRS that canhold larger amounts of pellets, the reef octopus which is like 279$ and another brand I cant recall off the top of my head which is less than that.

I think a reason why my pellets didnt work in the 125g was that the starting trate level was just ridiculous and they just couldnt keep up AND knock back the existing nitrates. So if you are thinking of pellets you might wanna get those trates down with some seriously monster water changes.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok. I'm not sure if I should get the dual reactor. I do have an ATS. How much does carbon really clear the water?
Old 08-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you have a dual reactor? If so what do you think?
Old 08-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

The scrubber is potentially more effective than any simple reactor media. If it is not yielding results, you need to re-examine your setup for potential flaws and make sure you are using it to its potential.

What is the source of your nitrate problems. Stocking issues? Tap Water? Overfeeding? Something else?
Old 08-03-2012, 12:00 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I think my Rodi unit went bad so I replaced that. I also got very busy and couldn't do a water change for a month or something a couple months ago. I used I overfeed. So all of this accumulates. I'll do a lot of water changes when I get home. I may get the reactor for the clarity of water carbon offers. How much does it help?
Old 08-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

About the biopellets, how much would I need and what reactor would I use on a 150g with very high trates? I hate dosing every morning and if I forget I feel horrible lol. Also when I'm away I worry that my bro inlaw doses too much. What reactor??? And how much pellets? Help!
Old 08-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The guideline is 1 cup for each 50g. The BRS biopellet reactor only hold a cup and a half though so that one isnt big enough. The Octopus middle size one will most likely be fine. Thats the one I am looking at to add to my 125g in the future if I try pellets again. You need a large enough reactor to hold approx. 750grams of pellets or a cup and a half.

Tags
bio, carbon, pellet

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com