Birdsnest growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Idaho-Tank

Aquarium Advice Activist
I picked up a Birdsnest frag about 3 weeks ago. Never had Birdsnest before this. It appears to be doing well but Im wondering about its growth. It seems to be developing many new "points". In all of the photos Ive found the growth looks different where only a few new points/branches start at a time while with mine I have a bunch of new "points". I can tell that each branch has grown some too but don't know what to think about all the new points. Perhaps this is a sign of a problem? My other SPS all seem to be just growing normally. Thanks for the feedback.

When added to tank:
img_1159526_0_4acbeed7b7f7e5e1298897dbc03d50ad.jpg

Now:

img_1159526_1_3762c7a0d7f8d93a08c950fca6e711c2.jpg

^ Ok, thanks guys. Just didn't expect all the small points to form everywhere like they are. I assume each one of those points will become an arm right? I wonder why it didn't form all those points in the previous tank.... Hmmm

It must be your water is good and your light is adiquit(sp). Just keep checking on your cal. levels so that it keeps up with the need or your birds nest.

Last edited:
^hope that is the case. My Cal. levels have been way high... that was one of my thoughts, perhaps the high calcium was causing all of these extra points to form. My Cal. is usually around 500 or so, and my alk is right at 9 dKH. The Oceananic salt I use has really high levels of calcium so I doubt Ill ever have worry about adding any.

If you keep adding SPS corals you will reach a point where you will more then likely need to add some. 500 is not that high so keep an eye on it as your needs grow.

^Hmmm ok.. Didn't realize that - thanks. I have been testing everything including Ca weekly so I will notice a drop if/when it happens.

^hope that is the case. My Cal. levels have been way high... that was one of my thoughts, perhaps the high calcium was causing all of these extra points to form. My Cal. is usually around 500 or so, and my alk is right at 9 dKH. The Oceananic salt I use has really high levels of calcium so I doubt Ill ever have worry about adding any.
You won't get any better coral growth from calcium at 500 than you will with it at 400. Corals don't pull more out of the water just because there is more in it.
The most likely reason you have new growth from those areas is now they are exposed to more light than maybe it was when it was part of the mother colony. Any change in lighting and or flow can cause a coral to change growth patterns.

^Hmmm ok.. Didn't realize that - thanks. I have been testing everything including Ca weekly so I will notice a drop if/when it happens.
on a second look, it seems that your frag was fraged at an angle and the side that is toward the lights are showing great growth.

Back
Top Bottom