Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...14&pcatid=2914
Talks about the host relationship. Although, I do not believe they would bother with a smaller frag.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
Well, this sparked my curiosity. There are trapezia crabs that live in birds nests and Porcillopora corals just like there are for acros. They share the same relationship and corals with these crabs, both in birds nests, proc, and acros have shown increased health and growth patterns. The only difference I have found between the 2, aside from them only living in the specific coral types, is that the trapezias that go with birds nests and procilloporas are more aggressive that acro crabs.

This is highly interesting...I'll be investing in one if I ever try another birds nest. Might be worth a shot if you can find one to help you out OP.
I id mine as a porcelain it may. Very well be a trapezia . Came in on it as a hitch hiker when I bought it.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have an ORA green birdsnest under 6 bulb T5 HOs that has been growing nicely. It's right in front of a Maxi Jet 600 and my emerald crab does often hide in it. In fact, I had assumed my emerald died and was looking at the coral under moonlights when I saw branches that didn't look quite right. It turned out the crab had gotten WAY down into the coral and I was looking at some of his legs.

I do have an oversized skimmer on my tank, but other than that, I don't do anything special.

Here it is as a frag when I bought it in early November (I think):

Here it is as of April 20:

It's grown a little more since then, and I noticed it looked like it dropped a branch the other day. I might have hit it while scrubbing algae though.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's is fast growth. What is the maximum gph you would suggest to have on this coral. I have 2 240 gph hydors and 2 240 gph nanos on a wave maker with a 2 minute window in the 30 now. I am always afraid to have to much movement on a coral. Did this to my torch and it did a little damage. Since healed but I was worried then.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Try to not hit the corals with direct flow. Bounce it off a rock or the tank wall. Get the flow to swirl as much as possible as this provides the proper water exchange around the polyps. I have found, as has several in our community that birdsnest grows pretty fast. It is very fragile, but once established, it goes crazy. Need less than .05 phosphates.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, that's what I figured. I'll take a pic when i get it tomorrow.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com