Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-05-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Black algae

My brother in law has just started to get black algae in his reef tank I have never had this in my tank or seen it before it's becoming a real pain for him any help please

Old 10-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Check cyano it can come in many colours

Old 10-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I'd agree that it is cyanobacteria. Cyano feeds off of nutrient rich water. The cure takes time. Constant changes with ro/di water, or distilled water at best. Lessen feedings, I only feed my reef tank twice a week. If it is bad, you can use a product called red slime remover, but it will come back if the issue isn't addressed like I listed above. Keep in mind, cyano also thrives in low flow areas so increasing the flow will also assist with this, but the nutrient issue will still remain unless addressed.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:04 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
I'd agree that it is cyanobacteria. Cyano feeds off of nutrient rich water. The cure takes time. Constant changes with ro/di water, or distilled water at best. Lessen feedings, I only feed my reef tank twice a week. If it is bad, you can use a product called red slime remover, but it will come back if the issue isn't addressed like I listed above. Keep in mind, cyano also thrives in low flow areas so increasing the flow will also assist with this, but the nutrient issue will still remain unless addressed.
I agree - Cyrano thrive in a low water movement environment - and additionally low dissolved oxygen conditions. I once had one of those "designer" tanks that was 25" deep and 18" square for the opening. Nothing but trouble battling Cyrano in that tank - adequate oxygen is a must...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com