Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-29-2007, 12:17 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well long tenticaled anemones (if thats what it truely is) actually is not a host anemone and will eat your clown fish if given the chance

CTR
blazeyreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:09 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Well long tenticaled anemones (if thats what it truely is) actually is not a host anemone and will eat your clown fish if given the chance
That is not really true. LTA's are a natural host of a few clowns, although perculas are not one. Clowns will sometimes host anemones they are not found w/ in nature, in captivity, just as they are observed to host all different types of corals. They are immune to the stings of many different animals whether it be corals or anemones(but probably not all). FWIW my clowns will bounce from bubble-tip anemones, to a Sebae, and even brush against and swim through the sweeper tentacles of a Galaxy coral w/ no problems in my tank. I myself don't even like messing w/ the galaxy coral

Old 05-29-2007, 09:40 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lance can you assume its a perc? I can't when trying to give good accurate advice. There are several types that can be in a black and white color. I have seen Clarkies, saddle backs and pers all in the black and white color shade.
And Lance are you sure its really a LTA?
Many times the LFS has misnamed items being sold and many times people have a BTA with long tenticals and called it a LTA

Getting more info or confirming info is not a bad thing Lance when trying to give out advice.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:32 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
I just assumed he knows what a lta looks like. And when he said "black and white" clownfish that is the name of that breed of percula, AFAIK there aren't any other clownfish that are completely black/white without any other colors.

I guess I was just assuming that artoledo is knowledgeable and can look at pictures to know what he is buying.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:07 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have seen other clowns that are totally black and white and when giving advice I have found it is good to double check. Its just the way i like to do it before giving out wrong advice because I did not ask first..
You can't assume anything in this hobby.. There are so many names for things depending on where your from and what the LFS knows. Some LFS don't have a clue and miss name things all the time where I'm from.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:20 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to artoledo Send a message via MSN to artoledo Send a message via Yahoo to artoledo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance M.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaham358
what type clown is it and what anemone. Clowns only like to host with certain anemones, they might not be compatable.
He already said it's a black and white clown, which is a breed of percula (not found in nature) and a long tentacle anemone. Also like everyone said before the clown could possibly never host any type of anemone. MY ocellaris clowns happened to host a bta after 3 months of being together and my tomato clowns host mushrooms from the caribbean (there are no clownfish in the caribbean). So they will host pretty much what ever they want to.

Like asked before: What lighting do you have on you tank? and how big is the tank? The tank has only been set up for 3 months?

And depending on your light ricordeas dont really grow "fast" I have moderate light (6.5 wpg) with several different ricordea and it took me 6 months to get one new ricordea yuma.... and it's about -- in diameter. My floridias havent split at all. The new ricordea yuma was natural. I've also cut them to make more.
I have PC's. It is a 75 Gallon. Lance: I do look at pictures when buying my animals. It is a black and white ocellaris clown.

-----Armando-----
artoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:36 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

How many watts PC light?
heres a site on clownfish and anemones.

http://www.fishlore.com/clownfishanemonechart.htm

do a goodle search for more info on this.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:32 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
Quote:
Originally Posted by artoledo
I have PC's. It is a 75 Gallon. Lance: I do look at pictures when buying my animals. It is a black and white ocellaris clown.
Yeah I thought so. seaham358 just thought that you may have been one of those people that bought something that was mismarked at the lfs. I'm not really sure what you would confuse a lta with. The only thing it looks similar to is a bta but its usually easy to tell the difference.

Like seaham358 asks how many watts is it? You say it's a 75 gallon tank so if it's a standard tank it would be 4' long and 20'' heigh. The majority of pc fixtures I see for a 4' long tank would be 260 watts; however, some are 130 watts and up to 384 watts. IMO the 384 watts (if you have that) would be ok but anything else would be low for anemones and you should consider an upgrade for longterm health of the anemone.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:44 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to artoledo Send a message via MSN to artoledo Send a message via Yahoo to artoledo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance M.
Quote:
Originally Posted by artoledo
Yeah I thought so. seaham358 just thought that you may have been one of those people that bought something that was mismarked at the lfs. I'm not really sure what you would confuse a lta with. The only thing it looks similar to is a bta but its usually easy to tell the difference.

Like seaham358 asks how many watts is it? You say it's a 75 gallon tank so if it's a standard tank it would be 4' long and 20'' heigh. The majority of pc fixtures I see for a 4' long tank would be 260 watts; however, some are 130 watts and up to 384 watts. IMO the 384 watts (if you have that) would be ok but anything else would be low for anemones and you should consider an upgrade for longterm health of the anemone.
It is a 260 watt. I was looking into getting Metal Halides. I saw some on ebay that i am interested in getting.

-----Armando-----
artoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 10:49 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
You say it's a 75 gallon tank so if it's a standard tank it would be 4' long and 20'' heigh. The majority of pc fixtures I see for a 4' long tank would be 260 watts; however, some are 130 watts and up to 384 watts. IMO the 384 watts (if you have that) would be ok but anything else would be low for anemones and you should consider an upgrade for longterm health of the anemone.
I agree. Right now I have a 55 and 384watts. My anemones chose higher ground to soak up the light.

As for ricordeas... I have some in excess of 5 to 6" in diameter. Orange seems to me to be the fastest growing. Just to give you an example, I got a 1" orange ric from reefrunner in 2005 and today, I have over 32 and most are over 3" in diameter. In the same time frame, I have given away more than 20. I have Purples as well and they are not anywhere the size and amount and I have had them since 2003... There of course are many factors that cause growth and not everyones tank is the same so growth rates would vary....

Tags
anemone, clown, long

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com