Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-07-2009, 02:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to abrahamavelar Send a message via Yahoo to abrahamavelar
black and white clowns

hello i have a fish less 75 gal tank due that i got ick and and i only got to survivors and they are 2 oc clowns and they are in my qt. so ive been thinking on buying some more fish and i have a craving for black clowns and my question is can i add a pair of black clowns if i add the oc's and them to the dt at the same time or they will just kill each other?????????????

Old 11-07-2009, 02:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Are your other clowns paired? If not. I wouldnt. If they are, its a hit or miss thing. They could be friends and have there own space, Or they could be aggresive. IMO, Get them, but be ready to take them back if they fight. But only if your other clowns are paired.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:13 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Abe, your 75 is not big enough for four clowns, mated or not. You will end up with only one pair of breeding clowns.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to abrahamavelar Send a message via Yahoo to abrahamavelar
oh ok thanks for your answers, they are not mated yet they are still too small imo the big one is 1 /12 long and the other one about one inch long
Old 11-07-2009, 02:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

When you stock a tank you have to consider the adult size of the fish or you will get into real trouble down the road. Like putting an Oscar in a 10 gallon tank just because it was only 1" when you bought it. They grow to be ~10", if you see what I mean.....
Old 11-07-2009, 11:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

thanks so much also how do i know when they are pair off??????? do they just hang out all the time or they start having babies?????
Old 11-09-2009, 03:35 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Abe, you need to have two fish (clowns), one much larger then the other. Clowns are all born as males. The larger one will morph into a female and then you will have a pair. When they are old enough and conditions in your tank are correct they will clean off a flat spot and lay their eggs.
PS: if the two are the same size, they will fight to see who will become the female/ Sometimes to the death of one of them.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:24 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

oh ok. my clowns died but im about to buy some more and on my lfs they have a tank thats 55 gal with 4 pairs of clowns one pair of tomatoes one of black one of oc and one gold banded and they are all happy with out fighting they even hang out how do they do that? or what do they do so they wont fight
Old 11-09-2009, 03:16 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Abe, they sell them out to people like you and me. They turn over these fish so often that they don't have time to form territories to defend. Remember that clowns are Damsel.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:18 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

im planning on getting the black ones,their faces are almost black but not completely will they get darker, im buying them because they are on 45 percent discount and with the discount ill end up paying 28 dollars a piece also i know he had this ones for ever i talked to the owner and he said he had those for about 6 months

Tags
clown, clowns

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com