Black Background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Platinum

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 100 gallon glass tank and want to my the back pane of glass black, but I dont want to use that black plastic sheet they sell at my LFS. Any siggstions for wat I can do? (spray paint the outside back glass black?????)

You can paint the back black either by brushing or spraying...spraying becomes a problem if the tank is full and inhabited.

Before you decide to paint it, I suggest finding out whether black is even the right colour. A lot of people with saltwater tanks like to use a dark blue colour. Tape some coloured paper to the back of the tank and leave it for a few days. If the colour is one you like then it is time to think of a more permanent solution. This will save some time and money.

If you have a dark blue sheet and a black sheet you could hang them in the back for a couple days and see which one you like best before you roll on the paint.

We are using black fabric for two SW's right now, but if I ever painted it I think I would go to dark blue instead (less gloomy)

I used fabric from walmart on the back of my 135. Looks great. Make sure you get enough fabric to cover twice. The fabric I got was too thin and light came through it. HTH

Quick Question for you cloth users. (I have fabric on a freshy 20G) How are you attaching it to the tank? I ended up using a deep maroon cloth that I crumpled up and lightly sprayed with gold paint. After the cloth dryed I soaked the cloth in a water/elmers mixture. Very little elmer's and streched it on the glass and let it dry. Perfecto! No probs at all. And you?

R-

I use the LFS bought background (black on one side, blue on the other) and have never noticed them once they were on correctly. I like the flexability if I want to change. The fabric seems like a good idea too.

I've got enough algae on the back of my tank I don't really need to worry about what color the backgroun is lol :?

I painted the back of my tank black and no problems with the inhabitants at all. Use a small roller and black LATEX paint. Use latex because you can peel it off later if you choose to do so. Also, go very slowly...very light coats and allow it to dry for 24 hours in between coats. It will take about 10 coats to get that smooth "tint" look. Take your time and you will be happy with your results.HTH
Travis

Ok guys thanks for all the advide, I went to Home Depot boughta $10 canon black spray paint and painted 2 coats only took 10 mins todry, sweet huh?
looks awesome !!! ill put pics up soon I jsut got evertyhing running just need to add the 200 lbs of LR lol

Back
Top Bottom