Black live sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
So what is everyone's thoughts on black sand? I've been looking at it and am thinking it would look nice but I am not sure how well it goes with a salt water tank.

Personally, this is what I want to use in my next tank. I think it is stunning.

With that said, I have been told that the black does fade some over time. Along with that, it is magnetic so you won't be able to use any mag floats in the tank without issues with scratching up the inside glass/acrylic.

I have it in my 40g and 29g tanks and it is stunning. Even better for spotting pods

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Personally, this is what I want to use in my next tank. I think it is stunning.

With that said, I have been told that the black does fade some over time. Along with that, it is magnetic so you won't be able to use any mag floats in the tank without issues with scratching up the inside glass/acrylic.

I'm going to be moving soon and will be temporarily storing everything in a bare bottomed 55g while I get the 90g set back up.. (Or maybe even a new 125 if I can work enough overtime) I'm not gonna use my old sand because I am just not gonna go through the trouble of curing a sand bed.

I used black in my planted tanks and absolutely love how the black makes the colors of everything pop so I was considering giving it a go on a reef.

I think black beds look good initially, but you can really see any dirt on the sand. Also, it's non reflective, unlike white sand beds, so you'll lose any extra light bouncing up under rock overhangs.

I think it'd look pretty sweet mebbid, feel like yellow and blues would pop big off the black. Not to mention coral coloration.. probably make the algae look better too:p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Curious what type of black sand you'd be using?

I was debating between tahitian moon sand and the carib sea indo pacific but I decided that I didn't like the look of the indo pacific sand with the salt and pepper look.

I think it'd look pretty sweet mebbid, feel like yellow and blues would pop big off the black. Not to mention coral coloration.. probably make the algae look better too:p

haha that it might :D

I was debating between tahitian moon sand and the carib sea indo pacific but I decided that I didn't like the look of the indo pacific sand with the salt and pepper look.
I.just ordered a bag of the Carib sea moon sand. Havnt opened it yet but it feels right texture wise. Petco black sand is pretty good, i currently use that, doesn't fade out like other black sands I've heard of.

I love it! Here is my tank with a Kessil a360w-e at day light and actinic blue settingImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1442973233.651842.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1442973247.873569.jpg

I think black beds look good initially, but you can really see any dirt on the sand. Also, it's non reflective, unlike white sand beds, so you'll lose any extra light bouncing up under rock overhangs.

X has a very good point. Light is precious in some systems. Black sand is almost always volcanic by nature, meaning it can contain elements beyond selenium. But it's been used enough, especially in FW that I wouldn't be too concerned in using it.

Back
Top Bottom