Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-18-2006, 10:32 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Black Perc in 10 gal?

They have a black perc at the LFS that is about an inch long that looks awsome.

I have a 10 gal nano reef that has been setup for about 6 months with no fish.

I am planning on seting up a 29 gal reef in a month or so, would the perc be able to live alone in this tank until the 29 is cycled? Will it be big enough for now?

Also, how hard would he be to catch when it comes time to move him?

SeeDemTails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:39 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I keep a female black perc in my 10g nano and she's lived there as sole resident for about a year. She was an adult perc when I got her and she's doing fine.

As for moving the fish, really depends on how many areas in the tank it has to be able to elude you. Catching fish in an established tank with liverock is a serious pain. Of course, you could just set the fish up in a QT tank and let it live there til the 29g is ready.

Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:40 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
I have seen percs in nanos before, you should be fine, depending on what other fish you allready have in there, or want to add, of course. When the perc grows larger, you would probably have to move him, but he could live in there for a long time.

I kept a 1 inch maroon clown in my JBJ nano for over a year until he was large enough to stand up to the female marroon in my larger tank

catching him will be a problem if you have any LR in there, but you knew that.
abnmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 04:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
I dont have any other fish in the tank. If it is acceptable, I will keep him long term in the 10 gal.

I really want whats in your avatar, a pygmy angel, but im afraid he will munch my corals.

They have a small pair of black percs at the store as well, would a pair in this tank be too much, as I dont plan on keeping any other fish with them. I do 25% Water Changes weekly.

It was between the percs, a Neon Dottyback, or a Pygmy angel, but the last will eat my corals I am afraid, and I plan to have a lot of corals in the tank in the near future.....I just bought a 96wt CF light, which gives me 9.6 wts per gallon. Here come some SPS corals!
SeeDemTails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
I keep 2 small ocellaris in my 5 gallon, and they are fine. Since they are not particularly long distance swimmers, if you give them a good place to call home and hide, they seem to be very happy. With percs or ocelarris, i think the pair idea works better, and the 10 should be fine for a long while.
Woo Hoo, PAYDAY! Time to pay the LFS rent (even before I pay mine )

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com