Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-28-2006, 05:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to chris stevens
Black PVC elbow

anyone have a resource for black PVC elbows, 1" MPTxFPT? marinedepot's are white. Alternatively, is there a good safe black PVC paint that won't chip, that I could paint the white fittings?

Old 03-28-2006, 05:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

They'll be covered in coraline in no time. I wouldn't worry about it. But, there is clear pvc available, but it's pricey!!!

Good luck!

Ryan

Old 03-29-2006, 01:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jasno999 Send a message via MSN to jasno999
Jsut hide it or cover it. WIth luck and good tank conditions it will grow coraline alage on it. Maybe you should rough it up with some sandpaper before puttign it in the tank.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:20 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy
They'll be covered in coraline in no time. I wouldn't worry about it. But, there is clear pvc available, but it's pricey!!!
I wouldn't recomend clear pvc for plumbing inside your tank. Clear PVC means the light is also getting inside the plumbing, this mean algae and coraline, etc will also grow inside the plumbing. This will lead to eventual clogs as things build up and get cought inside on the build up etc.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I wouldn't recomend clear pvc for plumbing inside your tank. Clear PVC means the light is also getting inside the plumbing, this mean algae and coraline, etc will also grow inside the plumbing. This will lead to eventual clogs as things build up and get cought inside on the build up etc.
Very good point. I was only suggesting clear elbows, and thinking if he wants it to always look nice, it would need constant cleaning.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:40 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I found black PVC pieces and elbows at Home Depot. I was looking for a little cave for my 2-inch pleco. It's been awhile now since I had the pleco, and I don't know if what they had would be suitable for your use, but I do remember a number of different black PVC pieces at Home Deot.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 02:52 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

just be sure what you use is still rated for... potable solutions? I think i have the wrong term.

Basically, the same reason you shouldn't use garden hose, it may have treatments etc that can leach into the water and cause you problems. Be sure it's safe to use for drinking water and you'll be ok.

Tags
pvc

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com