Black sea cucumber

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theodo155

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a black cucumber that goes all over the bottom of my tank all the time. Now for some reason he is hanging at the top of the tank as high as he can go. Any one have any ideas?

Check your nitrates. Typically they will do this when the water specs are not up to par. If antything I would suggest a decent sized water change with well aged SW. They will often climb the glass and roam the top of the tank but it is quite rare for them to stay there long.

How are the water parameters in general and how old is the tank?

Cheers
Steve

Water quality is good every thing is within normal range. Tank has been up for 3+ months with a tomato clown as the sole fish. Some snails and 1 other black cucumber. He has been roaming the top now for 24 hours. the other one is on the bottom.

I wouldn't get overly concerned if just one day but I would definately be watchful of it's color and make sure it does not fade.

Water quality is good every thing is within normal range.
Sorry bit of a pet peeve but it might not be :wink: What are the exact tank specs and how was the cuke acclimated.

FWIW, a cuke is a poor choice for such a young tank let alone two of them. One is plenty for that size tank. One thing to realize about these animals is you cannot really suppliment their feedings at all. They feed naturally off the system and can easily starve and die in such a young system. It is usually best to wait at least 1+ year(s) before adding one.

You might get lucky with one but I think two is pushing it 8) , personally I would return them both.

Cheers
Steve

Ok here we go. Water, ammonia 0.0 nitrates 0.0 nitrites 0.0. salinity 1.025 temp 80.
I acclimated with 1/3 tank water 25 min then 1/3 tank water 25 min then another 1/3 for 25 min then put them in the tank. How I got them is my lfs suggested them as part of a clean up crew.

theodo155 said:
Ok here we go. Water, ammonia 0.0 nitrates 0.0 nitrites 0.0.
Wow. 0.0 nitrates in only three months 8O

I acclimated with 1/3 tank water 25 min then 1/3 tank water 25 min then another 1/3 for 25 min then put them in the tank.
Not nearly enough time for how sensitive these animals can be to changes. If I'm understanding correctly, you filled the bag up 1/3 and let it float for 25 min? Sensitive inverts should be drip acclimated. The cuke may yet settle on it own though.

How I got them is my lfs suggested them as part of a clean up crew.
They can make an excellent part of the crew once the tank has had enough time to mature. Persoanlly I think you may yet have problems, your choice wether you keep them or not. :wink:

Good Luck
Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom