Black spots on clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DurTBear

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone ever experienced their clownfish getting black spots? Black spots started developing a few days ago and they seem to have multiplied. I've read that it could either be blackspot disease (a form of ich) or burns from the frogspawn. This guy has been kind of testing the waters on hosting a frogspawn. My other clownfish doesn't have any spots and he stays out of the frogspawn so I'm thinking it might be frogspawn burns. Just want to see if anyone else has had this happen or knows more about this condition. Thanks!

Yeah, he's still very active and his appetite is still extremely healthy. Thanks for the reassurance. I was getting kind of worried.

Thanks for the link. So his black spots look much bigger than that. I've tried to take a picture but my camera is pretty simple so it's tough to get a picture that's not blurry from him moving around. I'll try again tonight and post it.

My Clowns got black spots too, I was worried because there wasn't anything in the tank other than LR when they got them.

After a while most of the spots went away, I never saw anything negative happen to the clowns while they've had them... It's been the better part of a year that they've had the spots...

I now have 2 other fish, corals, snails, and shrimp in the tank...

-TheChad

Just another person who had a black spot on his clown. The spot was maybe 1/8" inch across back by his tail. It appeared about a week after I put a colony of zoanthids in the tank. After a couple weeks, it was completely gone. Maybe for the first day of the spot, he didn't eat quite like normal - but the rest of the time he wasn't showing any negative signs.

In your case, I'd guess it was a little burn from the frogspawn.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I feel a lot better about the spots after hearing about all of your experiences. I think he'll be fine but for what it's worth, here are a couple pics of the spots. They're not great pictures but I think you can see what I'm talking about:

img_779725_0_f1a5349fcdac444a0e456229fb2a31f8.jpg

img_779725_1_102cc916e9c00963268cde135dd7986c.jpg

Yeah.. That's what my clowns looked like, but I didn't have any corals when My clowns got the spots, So don't know what they are/were.

-TheChad

Thanks for the link. Glad to hear that it's nothing detrimental. I guess I did always like the the true percs that had more black on them! Hahaha!

Back
Top Bottom