Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-04-2005, 03:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Black Tube Coral

A LFS has some black tube coral that has receeded from around the skeleton a bit. Most of the shaft and all of the head is still covered (they say from not feeding directly??) They have it for $10, is this a good deal?? Would this make a recovery with TLC. If so any special things to help it make a recovery.

I know the have no zooxanthelae and need to be fed dirctly to each polyp at evening time, they are low light medium flow critters. Any other info on keeping this or if I should even attempt it being new to coral.

TIA

Oscar Wilde
MYTY1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 04:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

For 10$ it would be worth trying to save it. Keep in mind that it usually comes out and night and being black will make it all the harder to see. If you can train it to come out during the day it should be interesting to look at but not nearly as beautiful (IMO) as one of the yellow or orange ones.

As long as you're willing to feed it chopped up pieces of food 2-3x a week (and you have to feed each polyp or that polyp will die not feed one polyp and it shares with the colony type coral) and your parameters are pretty good it should do well for you. Mine has not wavered in its beauty (yellow one) since the day I put it into my tank. I feed it Liquid Life, mysis and chopped krill 2-3x a week. I think, as long as you feed it, it is pretty hardy.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 04:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
i got a question about corals and such, are corals like anemone as where you put them in the tank and they move to where they would like to be kept? , or do you have to attach them to where you want them to be placed. sorry if the question is dumb i'm new to the sw setups.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks Phyl you rock again!!! You have given soooo much here's kudo's in return. Even though you did jinx my BTA.

As far as I know the corals will stay where you put them. They will stay attaached to the rock where you place them. Unless they are brains or plates, those will move. But someone with more knowledge may tell you different.
Oscar Wilde
Old 05-05-2005, 12:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well put the coral in the tank at about 7:00 nothing!!!!!!! 10:30 rolls around and I check with the flashlight 8O WOW 8O Gorgeous!!!!! 10-15 polyps fully extended. Went to freezer and got cyclopeeze and fed the little buggers. Man they were grabbing the food like crazy!!!! Seeing them contract to eat was just awesome. Hope they last they look in pretty sad shape. About 2/3 of the skeleton is showing right now.
Oscar Wilde
Old 05-05-2005, 12:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

The coral is in a WHOLE lot better hands now! Can't wait to see pics, and hear about it' progress......
Old 05-05-2005, 12:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Will post of all my purchases over the past three days if I can remember to take the camera home from work. I'm soooo excited for my tank it's starting to look like a tank instead of a fish bowl!!

Oscar Wilde

Tags
coral, tube

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com