Black Tube Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MYTY1705

Aquarium Advice Freak
A LFS has some black tube coral that has receeded from around the skeleton a bit. Most of the shaft and all of the head is still covered (they say from not feeding directly??) They have it for $10, is this a good deal?? Would this make a recovery with TLC. If so any special things to help it make a recovery.

I know the have no zooxanthelae and need to be fed dirctly to each polyp at evening time, they are low light medium flow critters. Any other info on keeping this or if I should even attempt it being new to coral.

TIA

For 10$ it would be worth trying to save it. Keep in mind that it usually comes out and night and being black will make it all the harder to see. If you can train it to come out during the day it should be interesting to look at but not nearly as beautiful (IMO) as one of the yellow or orange ones.

As long as you're willing to feed it chopped up pieces of food 2-3x a week (and you have to feed each polyp or that polyp will die not feed one polyp and it shares with the colony type coral) and your parameters are pretty good it should do well for you. Mine has not wavered in its beauty (yellow one) since the day I put it into my tank. I feed it Liquid Life, mysis and chopped krill 2-3x a week. I think, as long as you feed it, it is pretty hardy.

i got a question about corals and such, are corals like anemone as where you put them in the tank and they move to where they would like to be kept? , or do you have to attach them to where you want them to be placed. sorry if the question is dumb i'm new to the sw setups.

Thanks Phyl you rock again!!! You have given soooo much here's kudo's in return. Even though you did jinx my BTA.

As far as I know the corals will stay where you put them. They will stay attaached to the rock where you place them. Unless they are brains or plates, those will move. But someone with more knowledge may tell you different.

Well put the coral in the tank at about 7:00 nothing!!!!!!! 10:30 rolls around and I check with the flashlight 8O WOW 8O Gorgeous!!!!! 10-15 polyps fully extended. Went to freezer and got cyclopeeze and fed the little buggers. Man they were grabbing the food like crazy!!!! Seeing them contract to eat was just awesome. Hope they last they look in pretty sad shape. About 2/3 of the skeleton is showing right now.

The coral is in a WHOLE lot better hands now! Can't wait to see pics, and hear about it' progress...... :wink:

Will post of all my purchases over the past three days if I can remember to take the camera home from work. I'm soooo excited for my tank it's starting to look like a tank instead of a fish bowl!!

Back
Top Bottom