Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-30-2006, 06:14 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Using tapwater only through the tapwater filter is likely allowing some form of impurities that are contributing to the problem. However, if you are getting a leg up on things you can continue to get it under control until desirable algaes take over. I would not blacken out the tank, it only treats the symptoms while not eliminating the problem....all the while eliminating light needed by desirable algaes to grow and take over.

I have found the only real cure is diligence with a good water source. I took over a tank that was really let go at a construction company and figured a regular maintenance schedule would turn it around...it didn't. I eventually had to do water changes twice per week removing as much as possible. I also removed and replaced most of the sand substrate in case it had a buildup of waste that was slowly feeding the algae. Finally, I upgraded the protein skimmer. It took about 3 months but it is now all but hair algae free. I have reduced back to one 5g water change per week and it is continuing to improve.

HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:00 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
That filter is supposed to give you DI water, and I read an article by someone who tested it along side their actual RO/DI unit and said that it gave just as good results. Of course, the product says it eliminates just about everything under the sun, but every thing I've tested it for, comes up good.

What beneficial algaes are there? I've never heard of that (only beneficial bacteria), until I've been reading threads about blacking out tanks.

scenicad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 02:03 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic
It may give DI water, but does it come with a TDS meter or anything similar to determine what the quality of the water is as you use it? I read the technical info at AP that suggests the resin turns color when exhausted but am not sure if the crap contents begins to build before the color change. Regardless, if you are happy with the results keep using it, I think you are over the hump and can get things in control with continous removal.

For RO/DI units though, do not fear the installation. The one I purchased off ebay (FilterDirect) has a needle valve I put right into the existing cold water line without modifying anything or causing permanent "damage". If I move, I simply remove the valve and connect the cold water line back to the same spot without the valve.

HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote

algae, control

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com