Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-10-2004, 07:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Blacklight=good moon/nightlight??????

i was wondering if anybody has a black light over there tank, i saw a picture of a loinfish reacting to what looked like a black light but i dunno, would it be recomended or not, does the white sand react to it?? (when i say react i mean glow blue) lemme know, cause i think that would be cool. as long as it doesnt hurt the fish lol swiming into eachother all upside down into the glass not good

1 Domino
1 lawnmower Blenny
1 YellowFish?????
3 Serpent Seastars
1 Pepermint Shrimp
1 Camel Shrimp
1 Coral Banded Shrimp
1 Huge Snail
moejoephd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 07:44 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Re: Blacklight=good moon/nightlight??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by moejoephd
i was wondering if anybody has a black light over there tank, i saw a picture of a loinfish reacting to what looked like a black light but i dunno, would it be recomended or not, does the white sand react to it?? (when i say react i mean glow blue) lemme know, cause i think that would be cool. as long as it doesnt hurt the fish lol swiming into eachother all upside down into the glass not good
I'm getting some moonlight led's from a bloke off Ebay, you can get the ready made kits or a DIY from him, he was reccommended a while back in the DIY forum on here. I'm in the UK & they should be here this week, if you want more details LMK & I'll give you a link to his auctions...

Cheers Shelton.

Old 07-11-2004, 10:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have never heard of a black light causing any ill effects to a fish or invert that is a really good idea i would like to knwo if they glow keep us posted
Old 07-11-2004, 11:19 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Please dont confuse blacklights with actinic lighting. Actinic is very near the specitrum that blacklight is in. infact true blacklight is invisable to our eye and they add some of the visable specitrum so we know its turned on.

Most likly what you saw was the coloration due to actinic lighting. Actinic lighting is not what you want for moonlight lighting but instead is lighting to supplment the daylight bulbs. Most of us put or actinics to come on an hour earlier and go off an hour later than our 'white' bulbs.

The above photo for example is a lion fish with actinic lighting only being used.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 12:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Would I be correct in thinking then what he is after is moonlights then?

I hope so cos like I said thats what I have on order coming from the States

Cheers Shelton.
Old 07-11-2004, 06:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

sweet im happy to know that that lion fish is glowing like that from an actinic just cause i have one of those bulbs too in my light fixture yay its goin to look sweeet hey shultz lemme know how the moonlight works out they seem like they would look cool,
1 Domino
1 lawnmower Blenny
1 YellowFish?????
3 Serpent Seastars
1 Pepermint Shrimp
1 Camel Shrimp
1 Coral Banded Shrimp
1 Huge Snail
moejoephd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 01:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Moonlights arrived today, brilliant if you ask me! gonna fit in just nicely when father-in-law has finished making my lid for me

Only cost £39 for a 4 way one delivered to here in the UK in about 4 days I can post a link to his auctions if anybody is interested? Or if thats against board rules then PM/Email me

Cheers Shelton.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:59 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Shelton, just for future reference there's a guy in UK selling them on eBay too.. I think it was £15 for however many you need and obviously there's no need to get a converter for the voltage either.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 02:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cheers for the heads up Atari, I did various searches on Ebay & came up with nothing in this country? Maybe I was unlucky & he hasn't got anything on there at the time?

The unit works ok with an adaptor to change from 2 pin to our 3

Cheers Shelton.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:07 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's a link to them -> eBay

Must be a new thing cause it wasn't around when I got mine either. Typical, you get something sent over from thousands of miles away and then it turns up cheaper less than 10 miles away.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com