bleach a coral ????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zippy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have bought a 20 lb. piece of nice coral from our local store. It is dry--and they said I should treat the rock with bleach and water. then let it dry for a week to let the bleach dissipate -- after washing rock thoroughly with fresh water. My question is ---- How much bleach or Clorox or thr Ratio of bleach to water ??? Maybe 1 part bleach and 2 parts water??? or does it matter??/ Thanks !!!! P.S. the is dry but has green algae color on it .

if your going to do that add a cap full of bleach to a gallon of water. that will take all the green out. but rather than letting it air dryi would soak in a bucket of plain water, changing the water every couple of days for five days.

hth

mark

yeah, I've heard 1 part bleach to 10 parts water, just make sure you rinse the rock very very very well, even the smallest amount in your tank will be deadly.

thanks for the advice! Should I not use bleach ?? The coral looks clean ==white except some green algae color\ Apparently it had been in an Aquarium before. Thanks again--Zippy

I use coral skeletons in my tank and bleach them periodically. I use about 1 cup in a 5 gal pail and leave them overnight. I then rinse completely and place them back in tap water with a good de-cloranator. Then I let them air dry completely. In the summer sun dried is the best. This seems to work well for me and I have never had an issue. In between They tend to turn slightly brown and I just rinse them in fresh water which takes most of this off.

Hope this helps,

Back
Top Bottom