Bleaching

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pat8you

Aquarium Advice Addict
can someone give me some info or link to to a site about what happens when corals or anemoes get beached? What is the cause and what is happening to them when they are beached?

When they bleach it can be from too much or too little light , it can be caused by not enough of the stuff they need , and what happens is they loose their zooanthallae algea , to get their color back they need to regain their zooanthallae this can be done by meeting their requirements such as lighting food flow ect .:)

Is my tree coral bleached?
img_849659_0_c7fafea0ca287007575405519f9ef2ba.jpg
img_849659_1_0d8ca3f41b604a2712c805749e433206.jpg

Its kinda transparent looking and i've never had one of these before. Not really sure what healthy looks like.

Nope it looks fine just young and small they are fairly fast growers that when the drop pieces will clone the mother coral and you will usually get babies if conditions are right:)

ok thanks. i wasn't sure because when i got it (online purchase) that giant hunk block had turned over in the bad and flatted the little guy out pretty bad. It honestly looked like smashed algae or something nasty when i got it. took probably a full week before it was even close to standing up strait again so i never really got to see it health before i put it in my tank. Just wanted to make sure i wasn't killing it.

On a side note anyone have any ideas for trimming down that block to something more natural looking?

You can use a dremmel (time consuming ) or a hammer /flat screwdriver and a hard surface to smack through it and break it up should only take a few seconds and you can do it out of the tank it should not take more than a minute or two , if it does place it back into water and repeat never keeping it out of water than 3 minutes as this will stress the coral and cause it to slime I have already had peices that I have had to break down in steps over the course of a couple days giving a day inbetween to allow the coral some peace and quite :)

Back
Top Bottom