Bleaching Rock ?'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evansimp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys! So I broke down a tank a little while ago and wanted to kill the rock and make it dry rock. I put in a bucket of bleach and water, about 75% water, 25% bleach, and let it sit in there for about 24 hours. Took it out, let it dry in the sun for a few days, soaked it in water for a day... And I'm wondering when it's safe to use in a tank... Still has a weird smell to it... Any tips or suggestions?!

The bleach has to air dry. If it has any holes in it then it might take longer than a week or so. I really dont advocate using bleach on rock.

Shouldn't have soaked it in bleach..... just letting it sit out & dry for a week or two will turn it into dead rock. Now that bleach has soaked into the pores of the rock, it's going to require multiple rinses to get it clean.

Yep. I'd rinse it a few times until there are no detectible smells of bleach, then have someone else check it as well..... your nose can become desensitized to a light bleach odor pretty easily. If you really want to be safe, after rinsing a few times, let it sit in water overnight and go to a pool supply store and picked up a small pack of chlorine test strips. If there's still bleach in the rocks, some should leach back out into the water & be detectible.... if so, rinse & repeat.

Yep. I'd rinse it a few times until there are no detectible smells of bleach, then have someone else check it as well..... your nose can become desensitized to a light bleach odor pretty easily. If you really want to be safe, after rinsing a few times, let it sit in water overnight and go to a pool supply store and picked up a small pack of chlorine test strips. If there's still bleach in the rocks, some should leach back out into the water & be detectible.... if so, rinse & repeat.

Good to know! Thank you!

Just asked some people if they smelt bleach on the risk and they said no, so that a good sign! Still gonna rinse though!!

Back
Top Bottom