Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-03-2008, 03:15 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

I use Garlic Xtreme the liquid form sold at the lfs or online retailers. It's really only the garlic oil (Allium Sativum Extract) that you need.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:41 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d View Post
I use Garlic Xtreme the liquid form sold at the lfs or online retailers. It's really only the garlic oil (Allium Sativum Extract) that you need.

Ok I see now.. I just had this image of the fish picking at the bits of garlic...

So you just lace the food with a few drops of the Xtreme Garlic and you're good to go. Thanks for all the info Cmor( and everyone else too).

I fed the tank with the mush I made today. the fish and inverts seemed to love it. but I soon found out that its pretty easy to over feed the tank. A small pinch goes a LONG way.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:22 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to Wizzard~Of~Ozz
Sorry, forgot about that. I used 2 cloves of fresh garlic. And the fish do pick at (and enjoy) little pieces of garlic.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:39 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

How do you guys know what they eat and what they don't? When I pureed my food, everything looks the same (except for the carrot and broccoli that I added). And I use one of those hand blender to make sure the end product isn't that mushy, which turned out to be a really good consistency. Once everything went into the tank, I can't tell the difference between a piece of shrimp or a piece of squid. For those that can, you guys must know something that I don't . Because whatever my fishes don't eat, my clean up crew took care of.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:31 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I now take the easy route and let someone else make my blender mush for me. I recently stumbled across Rod's Food as a freebee from the LFS. I love the stuff and so do my fish and corals. No mess, no smell. Rod's Food - The Complete Reef Food
Old 05-04-2008, 11:35 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

The ingredients in Rod's Food are hard to beat. How is it packaged, flat; cubes?
What's the cost of the food (per pound?)?

I found a semi-local lfs (the place I got my set up from) that carries it. I'm going to head over there today and get some to try it out. Sure beats making my own if it's as good as I hear and reasonably priced (fresh seafood is expensive)!
Old 05-04-2008, 01:39 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

That was an awesome response cmor1701d very helpfull.(The first post) I think I am going to print that one off and take it with me to the grocery store. Thanks

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:37 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Thank you, but I can't take the credit for other people's work. All I did was post Reeflady's recipe with a few of my own comments.

I just bought a flat pack of Rod's Food. I'm going to try it tonight. At $20 for a 6 oz flat pack I think I will continue to make own in the future.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:21 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

It comes packaged flat in an 8x6 zip top bag (similar to other flat-packed frozen fish food). There is no unit weight listed on the package. Retail is $19.99. I do know it also comes in a smaller flat package.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:16 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

I was just about to go out to a LFS to find some of that Rods food.

Cmor, where in Jersey did you find it? Rods food website list only two locations in Jersey which aren't all that close to me.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com