Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-03-2008, 11:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Blender Mush, Whats your recipie?

I want to try feeding some blender mush for the first time.

I tried some squid and shrimps and nothing else. The mush came out more like a paste. and smelly . I put it in the freezer and i'm going to try it tonight when i feed the tank.

What does everyone put in their blender mush? Any tips on how to prepare it? as I said mine came out like a paste and I hope it will not just disintergrate when I feed the tank.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:41 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

You most likely blended it too long. I have followed this basic recipe though I change it up depending on what's available at the fish store and what I have on hand at home. I use garlic Xtreme in place of fresh garlic. Also, for dry ingredients I only use zooplankton, phytoplanton and freeze-dried cyclops-eze. I do add some dulce and nori.

I put the mixture into silicone baker's moulds and freeze. I couldn't find the smal square size one so I cut each rectangle in half to make a cube. I put them in a freezer bag and add some baking soda to coat the cubes and keep them from sticking together. I then thaw a cube in tank water for 10-15 minutes before feeding. I shut down the main pump prior to feeding and leave it off for at least a half hour. I leave the power heads running to distribute the food through out the tank. Read the lower part for some more veggie ideas. I'll be adding some broccoli florets to my next batch.
----------------------------------
Reef Lady Blender Mush
Ingredients:
Several different kinds of raw fish and shellfish. Some examples that I commonly use are: fresh shrimp, scallops, clams, oysters, smelt, squid, and cod or other white fish. (Note: I don't use canned seafood, as this can be quite high in phosphates). I try to use the most oysters, clams, mussels, etc., and the least of the fish.
Note - you can "mix and match" these ingredients as you wish - or depending on what is fresh at the store.
2 or 3 raw garlic cloves.

Liquid - you can use water, or clam juice (if you buy bottled, make sure there aren't any additives).

Vitamins - I use "Zoe" Marine by Kent. I find Selcon (and Zoecon) to contain too many fatty acids - it clouds and pollutes the water too much for my liking.

3-4 sheets of raw Nori, and a few pieces of rehydrated (with tank water) Dulse. Nori alone, or a few small pieces of organic Romaine or baby Spinach leaves can be substituted.
Dry ingredients ~ depends highly on what I have on hand, but usually includes some of the following:
Golden Pearls, several different sizes - 3-4Tablespoons
Sweetwater Zooplankton (daphnia) - 3-4 Tablespoons
OSI Spirulina Flake Food 3-4 Tablespoons
VibraGro Saltwater Staple food - 3-4 Tablespoons
Kent - Platinum Reef Herbivore pellets (small)
Azoo Artifical Rotifera
Azoo Artifical Artemia
Make sure all your ingredients are as fresh as possible. Rinse your raw seafood well.
Basically, everything goes in the food processor. I usually add a little bit of the raw seafoods first, and blend to a fine consistency, add a little more, blend again, etc. I do this three of four times so there are several different particle sizes. I then break up the Nori and add that last with dry ingredients, and the the vitamins and liquid (if needed). You should get the consistency of wet mud.
Yes, it smells *bad*.
After you have everything mixed, and at the right consistency, you'll need to freeze it - however you want. I use the large plastic zipper lock bags. Put a few spoonfuls in, and spread it out so you have a thin (1/4" layer). Then, seal the bag and put it on a cookie sheet, or some other flat surface to freeze. After it is frozen, you can cut or break it up into the size chunks you want to use, and keep those frozen in the ziploc bag.

Note: A lot of homemade fish food recipes call for adding gelatin for consistency. I don't like it, and find that the food doesn't break up as well when thawed. If you want to add gelatin, Email me , and I can forward you a recipe that contains it.

Another note - I make this food with the intention that it will feed the entire "tank" - fish, corals, and all other invertebrates. However, given that we have three Tangs, I also insure that they always have a clip with Nori, Dulse, and organic baby spinach leaves to graze on.
You can make as much as you want at a time - I suggest making small batches, that way you know the food is always fresh.
------------------------------------------
I just use frozen broccoli fluorets from the grocers. Believe it or not all my fish eat the stuff including the trigger, although the clowns don't seem interested.
You can also alter the balance of a blender mush to weigh more on the side of herbavor items as apposed to meat. The scent can often be enticing to even the pickest eaters. Peas, carrots, spinach and such will easily blend with the meat and adhere to the mixture. Kinda like hiding meds in something sweet for kids. Steve-s
----------------------------------------------------
There is also a great article on how to make home made fish food with photos

This document is in HTML or in PDF format.

BTW, freezing will kill any parasites that may be found in the fresh seafood. Never feed the mixture before freezing.

Hope that helps

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:05 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
That's interesting about the Selcon clouding the tank. I have never had that issue. I do tend to put a little less than the recommended amount.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:12 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I use it and it does cloud my tank. I still have ˝ a bottle left.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to Wizzard~Of~Ozz
Yup, it will cloud up a bit, but it dissipates quickly.

For mine, I kept it simple.

5 white shrimp, whole/raw
3 clams (cherry I think?)
5-6 sea scallops
some flake to thicken a bit
Selcon to taste.

None of my fish would eat the squid so I scrapped that.
Old 05-03-2008, 02:14 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I would think that you might have processes it a little too long also I would suggest adding some more variety to it M3drver. I see some good recipes on the thread.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Cmor, wow thanks thats some great info. I'm going to give it another try, and this time I'll try some of these ingredients and blend it a bit less. I only have 2 Clowns and a couple of corals so I'll just make a small batch and see if they like it.

I see one of the ingredients is Garlic. instead of chopping it up in the blender, can i just used a garlic press instead? I just feel the blender/food processor will leave big pieces of garlic in the mush.
Old 05-03-2008, 02:25 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I would add the garlic right before feeding. I think the ingredient that helps boost the fish's immune system works better while it is fresh and will lose it's potency over time. For the life of me, I can't remember what it's called.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:26 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
I would think that you might have processes it a little too long also I would suggest adding some more variety to it M3drver. I see some good recipes on the thread.

Yeah it looks that way. its my first time making mush and I was thinking the finer i make it the better but I was wrong. I guess i want to have pieces of various sizes so that it holds up in the tank water and lets the fish pick at the food bits
Old 05-03-2008, 02:43 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64 View Post
I would add the garlic right before feeding. I think the ingredient that helps boost the fish's immune system works better while it is fresh and will lose it's potency over time. For the life of me, I can't remember what it's called.
Makes sense... i'll give a try and see.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com