Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-19-2006, 04:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
blennies hate each other?

a friend of mine bought a bicolor blennie and had it in his tank for a few weeks. Normal Blennie behavior. Sitting on the rocks, taking swims, looking around.

Then he found a tailspot blennie, and bought it. Put it in the tank, and the bicolor was all over it like a cheap suit...

Bit up it's tail, and mercilously chased it until we got it out of there. (good luck catching a 2" blennie with 100 lbs. of live rock...god that sucked big time)

we tossed the bicolor in a QT, and he has since taken it back to the fish store for trade.

I've read certain types of blennies can be territorial...the sabretooth blennie recommends: "do not keep with other fish", but everything I've read on the bicolor says "can be timid" or something of the sorts.

Just thought I'd throw that out there for someone thinking about getting more than one blennie...

Never saw that coming.

- Ineubis
Ineubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 04:15 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Opinions are mixed as to whether the Bicolor Blenny is a peaceful tank member and safe for invertebrates. Some believe the Bicolor Blenny is not safe with other species members and may pick on gobies and firefish. Others say the Bicolor Blenny is a peaceful community fish.

Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:24 PM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Alot of times when more than one they will fight unless it is a big tank.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:28 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
2 blennies need big tank with lots of rock. I have a bicolor and a lawnmower in a 90 gallon. They don't get along ( the bicolor is the aggressor), but have plenty of space. One stays on the left side and the other on the right.
You know you are a true fish-o-holic if you can field strip any powerhead on the market.
JG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 10:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
I have a Bicolor Blenny, a Midas Blenny and a lawn mower in a 55 gal reef with no problems. Just lucky I guess.
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
ezy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 04:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently had a similar experience.

I have had a Bi-color Blenny for about one year and recently purchased a Molly-Miller Blenny to add to the tank. The minute they saw each other it was on....chasing/fighting ensued and they had to be separated.
mcescher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 01:05 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had a bi color in my tanks for years - the wife loves them. It got along with my midas in 100gallon, but they were not 'friends' - if the midas came too close to the spot the bi-color was perching on, the bi-color got nasty. Other than that, my bi-colors over the years have been one of the MOST peaceful fish I have ever kept. It has ignored all shrimp, crabs, angels, clowns, corals, gobies, hawks, tangs, dottybacks, wrasse and pseudochromids. It even ignores fish that compete with it for food, like the pygmy angel. I guess they just don't like other blennies.

abnmojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com