blennies hate each other?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ineubis

Aquarium Advice Regular
a friend of mine bought a bicolor blennie and had it in his tank for a few weeks. Normal Blennie behavior. Sitting on the rocks, taking swims, looking around.

Then he found a tailspot blennie, and bought it. Put it in the tank, and the bicolor was all over it like a cheap suit...

Bit up it's tail, and mercilously chased it until we got it out of there. (good luck catching a 2" blennie with 100 lbs. of live rock...god that sucked big time)

we tossed the bicolor in a QT, and he has since taken it back to the fish store for trade.

I've read certain types of blennies can be territorial...the sabretooth blennie recommends: "do not keep with other fish", but everything I've read on the bicolor says "can be timid" or something of the sorts.

Just thought I'd throw that out there for someone thinking about getting more than one blennie...

Never saw that coming.

Opinions are mixed as to whether the Bicolor Blenny is a peaceful tank member and safe for invertebrates. Some believe the Bicolor Blenny is not safe with other species members and may pick on gobies and firefish. Others say the Bicolor Blenny is a peaceful community fish.

2 blennies need big tank with lots of rock. I have a bicolor and a lawnmower in a 90 gallon. They don't get along ( the bicolor is the aggressor), but have plenty of space. One stays on the left side and the other on the right.

I recently had a similar experience.

I have had a Bi-color Blenny for about one year and recently purchased a Molly-Miller Blenny to add to the tank. The minute they saw each other it was on....chasing/fighting ensued and they had to be separated.

I have had a bi color in my tanks for years - the wife loves them. It got along with my midas in 100gallon, but they were not 'friends' - if the midas came too close to the spot the bi-color was perching on, the bi-color got nasty. Other than that, my bi-colors over the years have been one of the MOST peaceful fish I have ever kept. It has ignored all shrimp, crabs, angels, clowns, corals, gobies, hawks, tangs, dottybacks, wrasse and pseudochromids. It even ignores fish that compete with it for food, like the pygmy angel. I guess they just don't like other blennies.

Back
Top Bottom