Blenny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salt4Us

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Thought we'd show off our newest addition to our home, we gave our sons the 5 gallon we had going has an over abundance of sand and ooodles of copepods, we got him a blue damsel and also a blenny, now they sold it to us as an eyelash blenny, but for some reason when I'm looking up an eyelash blenny it doesn't look the same. We have some scooter blennies in our 29 gallon so we know those eat copepods and brine, but curious if anyone can clarify what type it is for us, he is the coolest fish.

Thanks!

I'm not sure what it is, but it's not a Salrius fasicularis. There are litterally hundreds of species of blennies, so it may be impossible to ID. FWIW, I think it is an atlantic/carribean species.

Ok, thanks Kevin, I've looked all over the net, can't seem to find anything close to it, it is so small that it fits into an Astrea snail shell, which my husband got a picture of, if it stays that small it will be perfect to remain in the 5 gallon. I'll have to do some more searching, thanks! :p

IME, Lawnmower blenny and eyelash blenny are the same. I agree the coloration is just like a lawnmower, but look at the face, unless it is a trick of the camera angle the face and head structure are wrong.

I did note that, I was thinking maybe the real young ones that havent gotten in all their fringing yet could possibly look like that...

If you'd like I can try and get a better pic of the head, he has a big spot on each side of his head, it's dark brown, kind of like clown cheeks and he has a redish tone to his head, he eats brine shrimp. His eye lashes are red also. I'll try and get a better pic and upload it, hopefully I can get in closer with out spooking him.

Well I got a front view, would have gotten another view but the batteries in my camera died so I need to go out and get some more, this is a front view of him as close as I could possibly get the camera to go before it went out of focus. I'm hoping this will help.

Thanks
-Kaurene

Great pic!!! In a sense, it is certainly justified calling it an eyelshblenny, it's got eyelashes. I think most associate eyelash blenny with a lawnmower blenny. I can't give you a scientific name, right now, but he sure is cool!!!

Back
Top Bottom