Blenny or Goby? What kind?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SuperWade2

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm looking down the road at my next fish addition to my 46 Gal Bowfront tank (2+ months setup) and would like some input.

75 lbs Live Rock
50 lbs Live Sand

(5) Small Blue/Green Chromis (Will be moving 2 to another SW Tank I'm setting up)
(1) O.Clownfish (a 2nd is on the way to replace one that didn't want to eat after a couple of days)
10-15 Hermits - Scarlet/Blue
20+ Snails (2 or 3 kinds, and I think a few have been eaten by hungry Hermits
2 Emerald Crabs

Anyhow, I'm looking at some type of Sand Sifting type fish to take care of my fairly deep sandbed... the snails do eat the stuff from the top, but want something to sift a little better...

I was looking at a Yellow Watchman Goby, but not sure if I should consider some type of Blenny instead... Does anyone have any suggestions...

SW2

Yellow watchmen are not super sifters..I have a pair of gold head sleeper gobies that are fantastic at this task. Keep in mind that most blennies and gobies are known carpet surfers, so eggcrate or some type of cover is really important.

Check out nassarius vibex snails too. Not the earth movers that some sand sifter gobies can be. Some move mountains of sand it seems. Twin spot gobies sift like gentlemen, but I haven't had luck with keeping them around too long. I enjoyed the "work" my nassarius snails and pistol shrimp did.

Thought about a pistol and shrimp goby pair? If so, gotta have your rock firmly planted on the bottom of the tank and not sitting on top of the sand. They'll take care of the sand beneath and around the rock.

You could try a bullet goby. They do a really good job! Also you could try a conch to help out as well.

The only sifting that my pink-spotted watchman ever does is when he's working on his burrow. Then he'll come out and drop mouthfuls of the substrate usually someplace where I don't want it, like right on top of a nearby piece of live rock :)

Back
Top Bottom