Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-08-2004, 11:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

blind blue head wrasse?

I have had a full grown bluehead wrasse for about 6 months, his name is torpido. He used to swim around like crazy and only stop at night. At feeding time he was the first one there. Now all he does is sit under a piece of rock like he's dead. He comes out once and awhile and bumps around the rocks and goes back to his spot. I've only seen him eat a little once or twice in the past week and a half, he used to be a pig. He looks fine not skinny and his eyes look fine. His color looks a little off. Think he's gone blind? I don't know how old he is.

Old 12-08-2004, 06:18 PM   #2
steve-s

Do you have any anemone's in the tank?

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-09-2004, 11:27 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

nope, no anemones. he came out today and he really looks like crap. His color is really dull and it looks like the hermit crabs might be picking on him. All he does is sit on the bottom like he's dead. I don't give him very long. He might just be old.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:59 AM   #4
steve-s

Very sorry for the late reply, been quite busy.

The main reason I asked about the anemone was the behavior is very closely related to that of an animal that has been stung by nematocysts of some type. Typically anemones will have the most potent effect on the animal but there are corals that can do the same. Although it is possible the wrasse has met it's "time", I would still look for other possibilities.

A little more background on the tank would help. At the top of this forum is a "sticky". Please post as much info from that post as possible.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
blind, wrasse

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com